1. What is the woman going to do on Friday?
A. Visit her mother with the man.
B. Go to the cinema with her mother.
C. Go to the get-together with the man.
2. What will the man do next?
A. Go to the airport. B. Stay for the party. C. Fly to Leeds.
3. What does the man come here for?
A. A party. B. An exhibition. C. A traffic meeting.
4. How much does the man pay for his shirts?
A. Twenty dollars. B. Thirty dollars. C. Fifty dollars.
5. What are the speakers talking about?
A. Weather in Indonesia. B. Christmas in Indonesia. C. A tour plan to Indonesia.
6. What is the man doing?
A. Giving a speech. B. Chairing meeting. C. Introducing a person.
7. Why does the woman sing so well?
A. She has a great teacher. B. She teaches singing. C. She is young.
8. What’s the second gift for Jimmy?
A. A car. B. A watch. C. A computer.
9. Why does Jimmy feel happy?
A. He lives with his parents.
B. He’s got what he dreamt of.
C. He’s received lots of presents.
10. What is the relationship between the speakers?
A. Friends. B. Couple. C. Strangers.
11. Why does the woman come to talk with the man?
A. To get a job. B. To take a test. C. To get a secretary.
12. What does the man mean by saying sorry?
A. He can’t help the woman.
B. He doesn’t need a designer.
C. He didn’t hear the woman clearly.
13. What did the woman do a few days ago?
A. Had dinner with the doctor.
B. Had her new tooth examined.
C. Had a false tooth filled in.
14. What causes the woman’s toothache?
A. It doesn’t fit quite right.
B. She doesn’t take good care of it.
C. She doesn’t use it properly while eating.
15. Why does the woman go to the doctor’s?
A. To take out the bad tooth.
B. To set the new tooth right.
C. To thank the doctor for helping her.
16. When will the woman come?
A. At half past eleven. B. At half past ten. C. At around 11:00.
17. Where can you most probably hear this talk?
A. In a class of the English language.
B. In a class of the Greek language.
C. In a class of the French language.
18. How long does the class last?
A. 11 weeks. B. 13 weeks. C. 15 weeks.
19. What is “the shortcut” to learning words according to the speaker?
A. Taking more courses.
B. Reading basic words aloud.
C. Learning how words are formed.
20. Why is the class popular?
A. It is not offered each term.
B. It’s taught by Professor Morris.
C. It helps to master some useful rules.
第一节：语法和词汇知识 ( 共10小题；每小题1分，满分10分 ）
21. Great changes have taken place since then in the factory _____we are working.
A. that B. which C. where D. there
22. ____ the help of the teacher, the student who wasn’t good at math ____ the difficult problem quickly.
A．Under; worked out B．With; worked C．Under; solved D．With; solved
23. I went to see a film _____ last year.
A. every three weeks B. every third weeks
C. each three weeks D. each third week
24. Mr. Wang made up his mind to devote all he could _____the poor people in the flooded area.
A. help B. to help C. helping D. to helping
25. --I think he is taking an active part in social work.
--I agree with you ____.
A. on the way B. in a way C. by the way D. in the way
26. The thief would have escaped _____if he hadn’t sold the stolen mobile phone.
A. catching B to catch C. being caught D. to be caught
27. This book will ______ to the students of English.
A. be of great value B. be of great valuable
C. be great value D. be of very value
28. There’s no doubt ______ hard work is the key to _____ your result.
A. whether; improving B. that; improving
C. whether; improve D. that; improve
29. We don’t need to do extra work this evening. The day’s work was almost ____ now.
A. at the end B. at an end C. at one end D. in the end
30. ____ of the land in that country ______ covered with trees and grass.
A. Two fifth; is B. Two fifth; are C. Two fifths; is D. Two fifths; are
I’ve heard such a story.
On a Friday_ 31_ , a poor young artist stood at the gate of the subway station, playing his violin. The music was_ 32_ , and many people _33_and put some money into the 34 of the young man.
The next night, the young artist took out a large piece of_35_ and laid it on the ground. Then he began _36 _. The music sounded more pleasant. Some people gathered and they found the_37 _ on that paper. “Last night, a gentleman put a(n) _ 38 thing into my hat. Please come to get it back.” When the people saw that, they felt very curious and began to_ 39 what it could be. After about half an hour, a man _40 there in a hurry and said, “It can’t be true！You ...you ...”.
The young violinist asked, “Did you _41 something?” “Lottery (彩票).”the man answered _42_ .
The violinist took out a lottery ticket. “Is it？” he asked.
The man was too _43 to say a word ...George Sang 44 a lottery ticket a few days ago. The awards(奖)opened yesterday and he won $500,000. So lucky and excited did he feel that he _ 45 _ 50 dollars and put it into the hat when hearing the music. However, the lottery ticket was also thrown into the hat without being noticed. The violinist found the lottery ticket. Thinking that the owner would _46_ to look for it, he came back to where he was given the lottery ticket.
Someone asked the violinist _47 _he returned the lottery ticket to the man. He said, “_48_ I don’t have much _ 49_, I live happily; but if I lose 50_ I won’t be happy forever.”
31. A. morning B. afternoon C. noon D. night
32. A. quiet B. beautiful C. familiar D. exciting
33. A. slowed down B. speeded up C. passed by D. went away
34. A. wallet B. bag C. hat D. box
35. A. paper B. glass C. plastic D. cloth
36. A. working B. waiting C. singing D. playing
37. A. poems B. articles C. words D. texts
38. A. important B. fantastic C. dangerous D. interesting
39. A. talk B. care C. expect D. guess
40. A. came B. rushed C. walked D. left
41. A. get B. find C. forget D. lose
42. A. quickly B. anxiously C. seriously D. carefully
43. A. confused B. anxiously C. excited D. surprised
44. A. bought B. made C. found D. sold
45. A. handed out B. took out C. hunted for D. picked up
46. A. forget B. remember C. return D. picked up
47. A. where B. why C. when D. how
48. A. If B. Why C. Because D. Although
49. A. money B. food C. time D. luck
50. A. friendship B. hope C. love D. honesty
Teachers’ Day is, interestingly, not celebrated on the same day all over the world. In some countries it is marked by a holiday, in others it is a working day.
International Teachers’ Day is celebrated on October 5. Being held ever since 1994, it is in honor of teachers' organizations worldwide. Its aim is to encourage supports for teachers and to meet the needs of students.
China ― In 1939, Teachers’ Day was set for August 27, Confucius' birthday. In1951, the celebration was stopped. However, it was founded again in 1985, and the day was changed to September 10.
India ― Teachers’ Day is celebrated on September 5 in honour of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, the second president of India, whose birthday falls on that day.
Russia ― In Russia, Teachers’ Day was celebrated on the first Sunday of October between 1965 and 1994. Since 1994, the day is observed on the October 5, just the same day as World Teachers Day.
The US ― In the US, Teachers’ Day is non-official holiday. It is celebrated on the Tuesday of the first full week of May. A number of activities are organized in schools to honor teachers. The celebrations can continue for the whole week of May.
Thailand ― In Thailand, National Teachers’ Day is celebrated every year on January 16. The first Teachers’ Day was held in 1957. The day is a holiday in schools.
51. What country celebrates Teachers’ Day in October?
A. India. B. Russia. C. Thailand D. The US.
52. Which of the following has the same meaning as the underlined word “observed”?
A. stopped B. held C. celebrated D. fell
53. Which of the following is possibly true?
A. China has celebrated Teachers’ Day since the year 1931.
B. Teachers’ Day is an official holiday in the United States.
C. Teachers’ Day is a working day in schools of Thailand.
D. Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan’s birthday is in September.
54. From the passage we can learn that ________.
A. The first Teachers’ Day was held in 1965 in Thailand
B. Teachers’ Day falls on Confucius' birthday in China
C. International Teachers’ Day aims to benefit the students
D.A lot of activities are held on Teachers’ Day across the world
“An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Similarly, if we drink a little more water every day, we may find that we need to go to the doctor a lot less often. A healthy diet is made up of water and a great many different kinds of foods. We know that healthy foods like fruits, vegetables and fish, are important as they provide us with energy and fiber, without giving us too much fat and sugar. But why is water important?
The human body needs water to survive. Water is important as it carries poisons and waste out of our bodies. However, doctors advise us to drink plenty of water, much more than the small amount we need to stay alive.
Some doctors believe that water is important for our health in all kinds of ways. They believe that a great many illnesses and health problems start as a result of dehydration(脱水)—a lack of water in the body. Most people are dehydrated at least some of time, although they probably don’t know it. It is surprising to learn that if we feel thirsty, we are already in the first stage of dehydration. In fact, we are advised to drink water before we feel thirsty.
These doctors think that health problems such as headaches, high blood pressure and asthma(哮喘) could be helped if people drink more water. They also believe that drinking more water can help people who are overweight. Water contains no calories so it will not make us put on weight. If we drink water, we will probably drink less sugary soft drinks such as Coca-cola. Doctors also believe that drinking more water may stop people from overeating. They say that many people think that they are hungry when they are, in fact, thirsty. Doctors suggest, therefore, that we eat less food and drink more water. There are still many health problems that cannot be solved by drinking water, so we should not stop going to seeing the doctor completely. However, if we make a decision to drink water every day, we may find that we need to go to the doctor a lot less often.
55. From the text, we know water can carry_________.
A. poisons and waste out of our bodies B. fruit, vegetables and fish in our bodies
C. sugar and fat out of our bodies D. energy and fiber in our bodies
56. Some doctors think that________.
A. people eat too much sugar
B. water is not important for our health
C. we should go to the doctor less often
D. some health problems are caused by a lack of water
57. Lack of water caused people to put on weight too much because_______.
A. they think they are thirsty and eat less
B. they think they are hungry and eat too much
C. water has no calories
D. it makes them thirsty
58. Which of the following isn’t mentioned in the passage?
A. Drinking more water may stop people from overeating.
B. Some healthy problems start because of a lack of water.
C. The amount of water a person should drink in a day.
D. Fruit provides us with energy and fibre.
Are you sometimes a little tired and sleepy in the early afternoon? Many people feel this way after lunch. They may think that eating lunch is the cause of the sleepiness. Or, in summer, they may think it is the heat. However, the real reason lies inside their bodies. At that time—about eight hours after you wake up—your body temperature goes down. This is what makes you slowdown and feel sleepy. Scientists have tested sleep habits in experiments where there was no night or day. The people in these experiments almost always followed a similar sleeping pattern. They slept for one long period and then for one short period about eight hours later.
In many parts of the world, people take naps in the middle of the day. This is especially true in warmer climates, where the heat makes work difficult in the early afternoon. Researchers are now saying that naps are good for everyone in any climate. A daily nap gives one a more rested body and mind and therefore is good for health in general. In countries where naps are traditional, people often suffer less from problems such as heart disease. Many working people, unfortunately, have no time to take naps. Though doctors may advise taking naps, employers do not allow it! If you do have the chance, however, here are a few tips about making the most of your nap. Remember that the best time to take a nap is about eight hours after you get up. A short sleep too late in the day may only make you feel more tired and sleepy afterward. This can also happen if you sleep for too long. If you do not have enough time, try a short nap—even ten minutes of sleep can be helpful.
59. Why do you sometimes feel sleepy in the early afternoon?
A. Because you eat too much for lunch.
B. Because it’s hot in summer.
C. Because your body temperature goes down at that time.
D. Because you didn’t have a good sleep last night.
60. What can we learn about “naps” according to the last paragraph?
A. All the people in warmer climates take naps in the middle of the day.
B. Doctors need to take naps while employers don’t.
C. If you take naps every day, you’ll never suffer from heart disease.
D. Taking naps regularly is good to people’s health.
61. If you get up at 6:30 am, what is the best time for you to take a nap?
A. About 12:30 pm. B. About 1:30 pm.
C. About 2:30 pm D. About 3:30 pm
62. What would be the best title for the text?
A. All for a Nap B. Just for a Rest
C. A Special Sleep Pattern D. Taking Naps in Warmer Climate
All over the world，children in hospital are being treated with a new kind of medicine：Laughter. Lucy is 23 and works for Theodora Children’s Trust. She is one of many clown (小丑) doctors who bring a smile to the faces of sick children.
“I’m a Theodora clown doctor. I call myself Dr Looloo. I spend two days a week in children’s hospitals，making funny faces，telling jokes，and doing magic tricks. As I walk into the wards(病房) I blow bubbles，shake hands with the kids，and make up nonsense songs for those children well enough to sing. I take special balloons to make ‘balloon animals’ and tell funny stories about them.
I’m naturally a very cheerful person. I’ve always been a clown. In fact my father’s a clown and I started working with him when I was eight years old. I knew it was just the job for me and I became a clown doctor because I think it’s a great way to cheer up sick, frightened children in hospital.
Being a clown in hospital is very tiring both physically and emotionally. We have to learn not to show our feelings，otherwise we’d be useless. Clown doctors are sensitive but this is not a side most people see. To the children we’re happy all the time. I’m still learning to allow myself to feel sad occasionally. There working with a very sick little girl from Bosnia who speaks no English，so our only common language is laughter.
At weekends I participate in events to raise money for Theodora Children’s Trust. It’s a charity, so we are paid with the money people give. Being a clown doctor makes the worries of everyday life seem small. All in all I feel honoured to do this job.”
63．Lucy works as a clown doctor because________.
A．her father is a clown
B．she has been a clown since she was eight
C．laughter is a great help to sick children
D．working in hospital brings her extra money
64．What do clown doctors usually do in hospital?
A．Teach kids how to speak English.
B．Cheer kids up with funny stories.
C．Join in activities to raise money.
D．Develop kids’ sense of humour.
65．Lucy thinks that being a clown doctor is________.
A．an experience of great fun
B．an interesting job to make a living
C．a good way of getting rid of her worries
D．an honourable and meaningful practice
Although many Chinese students say that their knowledge of English grammar is good, most would admit that their spoken English is poor. Whenever I speak to a Chinese student, they always say, “My spoken English is poor.” __66 I would like to suggest that there may be some reasons for their problems with spoken English.
First, they fail to find suitable words to express themselves due to a limited vocabulary. __67 However, you can speak with a limited vocabulary, if you choose a positive attitude. Others will follow you as long as you use the words that you know.
__68 Sometimes they make mistakes when they are speaking because they are
shy and nervous. Yet students should remember that their goal should be FLUENCY NOT ACCURACY. Your aim in writing is to be accurate following the rules for grammar and using the right words and spelling them correctly. However, in speaking your aim is fluency. You want to get your message across, to talk to someone in English, as quickly and as well as you can, even though sometimes you may use a wrong word or tense, but it doesn’t matter. __69
The third reason is that not enough attention is paid to listening. You have one mouth but two ears! All that hearing is necessary for you to start speaking.
Fourth, most Chinese students are reactive rather than proactive(主动的) language learners. Instead of actively seeking out opportunities to improve their spoken English they passively wait for speaking opportunities to come to them and wonder why their English always remains poor. __70 .
A. The person you are speaking to will understand you and make allowances for any mistakes he hears.
B. Obviously the better answer is to expand their vocabulary.
C. They may try to avoid making similar mistakes next time.
D. If you have this proactive outlook, then you will see English opportunities wherever you go.
E. Second, they are afraid of making mistakes.
F. However, their spoken English does not have to remain “poor”!
G. The second reason lies in the reluctance of using what has just been learned.
71. His efforts were (奖赏/报答)with success.
72. The whole city lay in ________ (废墟) after the earthquake.
73. In my opinion, all the people in the world should have _________ (平等的) rights.
74. Beijing __________（主办）the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, which was quite successful
75. That novel isn’t _________（值得） reading.
76. The house __________（属于）to the old man was built hundreds of years ago.
77. In the US and Canada, there are not many places where you can __________ (讨价还价).
78. She didn’t like the plan, but __________（就个人而言）I see nothing wrong with it.
79. My father bought an ___________ (电子的) dictionary for me.
80. The dead were ___________ (埋葬) in the ground after the terrible earthquake.
Once, three men got 81 (lose) in the forest. They decided they would stay in the forest until they found 82 (they) way. The next morning, one man went to find some food. Soon, the other two men were 83 (surprise) to find him back with a deer and asked how he got the deer. The man replied, “I found tracks, I followed the tracks, and I got a deer.” They both were 84 (slight) confused because he had no weapons. A few days 85 (late), the second guy went in search 86 food and soon came back with a deer too. The other two asked how he managed 87 (get) the deer. His reply was 88 same as the first man’s. Then it was the turn of the third guy to search for food. Many hours passed, and the third man 89 (hold) nothing in his hands came back, with blood on his face. The other two asked him 90 had happened. He looked at them and relied, “I found tracks, I followed the tracks, and I got hit by a train.”
91. Though he failed many times in election, he never lost his heart.
92. There was no person to who I could turn for help in the street last night.
93. Judged from his accent, he must be from Australia.
94. I lived in that you call “Ancient Greece” and I used to write about the Olympic Games a long time ago.
95. In return his help, I will give him a new CD.
96. He is such a good teacher that we all respect.
97. He was about to go to bed while there was a knock on the door.
98. It was dangerous because if I was caught I could be put in the prison.
99. It was in this city where we met for the first time last year.
100. The old lady survived her husband for 5 years.
参考词汇：适应 adjust to
I am sorry to hear that you’re having trouble adjusting to your high school life._________________________________ _ ____ __ _ __
_ _ __
_ _ __
1—5 BAABC 6—10 CACBC 11—15 AACAB 16—20 CABCC
21—25 CDADB 26—30 CABBC
31—35 DBACA 36—40 DCADB 41—45 DBCAB 46—50 CBDAD
51-54 BCDC 55-58 ADBC 59-62 CDCA 63-65 CBD
87. to get
91. lost his heart中his去掉
92. to who中who改为whom
94. in that中that 改为what
95. In return后加for
96. that改为as 或respect 后加him
98. in the prison中the去掉
I am sorry to ear that you are having trouble adjusting to your high school life. Many students have the same problem when they go to a new school so don’t worry about it too much. I’m writing to offer you some useful advice.
First, make a good plan for your studies. I think it will help you get used to the new studying environment in a short time. Second, make some friends and take an active part in class activities. In this way you won’t feel lonely and your school life will become colorful and interesting .
I hope my suggestions will work well with you.