【www.5ykj.com - 莲山课件】
WORDS & EXPRESSIONS
1. He shouts a lot but I don’t think he’s ever been physically violent towards her.
2. It was the most violent film that I have ever seen.
3. He had violent stomach pains.
4. There was a violent storm at sea that night and their ship sank.
【拓展】violence n. 暴力，猛烈，强烈
violently adv. 粗暴地，强烈地
1. There was a(n) ________ reaction from the public.
2. She ________ disagreed with what we said.
3. We were all surprised at the ________ of his anger.
1. violent 2. violently 3. violence
1. My sister likes doing crossword puzzles.
2. Scientists have been trying to solve this puzzle for years.
3. The findings of the survey puzzle me — they’re not at all what I could have expected.
4. Susan’s been puzzling about / over this strange letter for weeks.
★作动词时，意为“________”（句3、句4），常用于以下结构：puzzle sb. 使某人困惑（句3）；puzzle about / over sth. 苦苦思索，仔细琢磨（句4）。
puzzled adj. 困惑的，迷惑不解的
puzzling adj. 令人困惑的，令人费解的
puzzlement n. 困惑，迷惘
1. _______________ (令我不解的) was why he left the country without telling anyone.
2. What happened to the ship _______________________ (仍然是个谜).
3. Scientist _______________________ (感到不解) as to why the whale had swum to the shore.
4. Don’t disturb her; she _______________________ (正在苦苦思索这个问题).
1. What puzzled me
2. remains a puzzle
3. were puzzled
4. is puzzling about / over this question
【语境展示】 阅读下面句子，并试着归纳in time的意思及用法。
1. He wants to see changes in the company and I am sure he will, in time.
2. Fred and Jim did not like each other at first, but in time they became friends．
3. The painting was successfully repaired in time for the opening of the exhibition.
4. If we don’t hurry up, we won’t be in time to catch the train.
【自我归纳】in time 意为：①迟早，最后，终于（句1、句2）；②________ （常用于in time for sth. / to do sth.结构）（句3、句4）。
all the time一直，始终
at the same time同时，一起
in no time马上，立刻
1. If you keep on trying, you will succeed ________.
2. If the train is ________, it should arrive at three o’clock exactly.
3. We got to the hospital just ________ to see the newborn baby.
4. With five hungry children seated round the table, the food disappeared ________.
1. in time 2. on time 3. in time 4. in no time
1. Two world wars broke out last century.
2. A fire broke out in the hospital at midnight.
3. After the flood, diseases broke out here and there.
4. I was in a nightclub in Brixton and a fight broke out.
5. He broke out, “That is not so!”
【拓展】break off 突然中止，中断 break down 损坏，坏掉
break up 结束，打碎，分裂，解体
1. The Second World War broke ________ in September 1939.
2. The meeting broke ________ at eleven o’clock, and then all the people left.
3. Jack broke ________ telling the story to answer the telephone．
4. The car broke ________ after an hour’s driving.
5. Does everyone know what to do if a fire breaks ________?
1. out 2. up 3. off 4. down 5. out