Unit 4 Amazing science
1. —I won’t have a trip to Mount Huang unless Amy_____, either.
—You mean you’ll go if Amy goes?
A. will invite B. invites C. is invited D. will be invited
2. She was heard _____ an English song in her home last night.
A. sing B. sang C.to sing D. singing
3. —Wow. What a beautiful coat!
—I bought it in Suzhou last year. It’s _____ silk. It’s dear.
A. made of B. made from C. made in D. made by
4. Two years _____ since I came here.
A. passed B. has passed C. have passed D. past
5. _____ the weather is fine tomorrow, we will go fishing.
A. As well as B. As soon as C. As long as D. As far as
6. Everyone should make a contribution to _____ our environment.
A. protect B. protection C. protecting D. protected
7. — What should we do first if we want to develop our village?
— A lot of new roads_____, I think.
A. have to build B. must build
C. have built D. must be built
8. He is a writer _____ a singer.
A. as long as B. as well
C. as soon as D. as well as
9. I don’t know_____.
A. what to do B. what did do
C. how to do D. where to do
10. No one can say for _____ what they are talking about.
A. certain B. certainly C. true D. truly
1. They heard the party was because of exam.
A. put on B. put up C. put off D. put down
2. — The six students from Lianyungang got the first prize in the Chinese Characters Dictation Competition in Jiangsu.
— exciting news it is!
A. What B. How C. What an D. How an
3. — When ______ you ______ here?
— Two days ago.
A. did; come B. have; come C. will; come D. do; come
In 1997, Americans decided to launch two space probes (探测器). They were 1
Voyager I and VoyagerⅡ. They sent 2 photos and facts about the more distant planets. Now they are traveling out in the galaxy(星系). Here are some facts about the Voyager spacecraft.
The total cost of the Voyager mission(任务) is 865 million dollars. This 3 very expensive. But it is only twenty cents for each American each year.
The television cameras of the Voyager are 4 powerful that they could read a newspaper headline at a distance 5 one kilometer. But there aren’t any newspapers in space!
Scientists have put a message on the Voyager spacecraft. We hope that someone will find it one day. But the Voyager will 6 40, 000 years to reach another solar system like ours, with planets.
The message is on a special disc, a bit like a CD. The disc has sounds and pictures on it. There are thirty-nine sounds of the earth. Some of them are natural sounds, 7 the sea, wind, and thunder(雷声). Some are animal sounds, such as birds, dogs, and humans. Some are man-made sounds, like machines, buses, and trains. They also 8 on music from many different countries. Finally there are 9 greetings from earth-people in fifty-five languages. There 10 a message in English from the president of America. There are also 116 pictures of the earth and its people.
1. A. call B. calls C. called D. to call
2. A. to B. back C. into D. up
3. A. is B. sound C. may be D. sounds
4. A.so B. such C. too D. much
5. A. at B. to C. of D. with
6. A. costs B. spend C. pay D. take
7. A. for example B. such as C.as D. likes
8. A. take B. make C. put D. bring
9. A. speak B. speaking C. spoke D. spoken
10. A. is B. will be C. have been D. are
Now satellites are helping us to forecast the weather. They are in space, and they can reach any part of the world. The satellites take pictures of atmosphere(大气). So the scientists there can see the weather of any part of the world and how the weather will change.
Today, nearly five hundred weather stations in sixty countries can receive satellite pictures. When they receive the new pictures, they compare(比较) them with the earlier ones. Perhaps they may find that the clouds have changed during the last few hours. This may mean that the weather on the ground may soon change, too. In their next weather forecast, they can tell people about it.
So the weather satellites are of great help to the scientists at the station. In the past they could forecast the weather for about 24 or 48 hours earlier. Now they can make good forecast for 3 or 5 days. Soon, perhaps, they may be able to forecast the weather for a week or more ahead.
1. The weather satellites in space can help the scientists to know everything.
2. Changing clouds in the atmosphere means that weather may change.
3. Without satellites, scientists could forecast the weather for 3 or 5 days ahead.
4. Today, every country has its own weather station which can receive satellite pictures.
5. The main idea of this passage is that satellites are now used in weather forecast.
This is a tale of two friends — one is blind, the other has no arms. On their own, the two are “disabled”. But together, they are a powerful team that has changed part of their village in North China’s Hebei Province into a rich, green forest. Meet 53-year-old Jia Haixia and Jia Wenqi!
Their story began in 2000, when Haixia, who was already blind in his right eye, lost his left one after an illness. Wenqi lost his arms in an accident when he was just three. Neither could find a job, so the two decided to team up. They rented some poor land and began to plant trees. In return, the local officials paid them a small fee.
Haixia and Wenqi never imagined that they would end up creating an environmental paradise. Their forest now has over 10,000 trees, hundreds of birds and many other wild animals. In addition, it saves the village from river flooding during the rainy season.
When the friends work together, they focus on their strengths not their disabilities. Their day begins at 7 a.m. when the sightless Haixia carries Wenqi across the river to get to their worksite. Since they cannot afford to buy young trees to plant, the two use branches from existing trees. Haixia climbs to the tree-top and with Wenqi’s direction, selects the perfect branch. He then digs a hole and carefully plants it. Finally Wenqi waters the area.
Though hard-working, the men don’t make much money. But as Wenqi puts it, “We stand on our own feet, so the fruits of our work taste sweeter.”
Neither Haixia nor Wenqi cares about money. Together, they already have everything they need — a perfect pair of eyes, two strong hands, and the best friendship in the world!
6. Why did Haixia and Wenqi start working together?
A. Haixia needed someone to help him.
B. They both needed a way to make money.
C. They wanted to improve the environment.
D. They were required to do so by local officials.
7. Haixia and Wenqi’s forest has helped the village by______ .
A. stopping floods in the rainy season B. increasing the number of tourists
C. making the villagers richer D. providing more farmland
8. Why do Haixia and Wenqi plant tree branches?
A. They are easy to get. B. They do not cost money.
C. They can grow very quickly. D. They are preferred by animals.
9. In paragraph 5, when Wenqi says “We stand on our own feet, so the fruits of our work taste sweeter”, he means that “______”.
A. they hope to make the forest even better B. the fruits from their trees are very sweet
C. they are proud not to depend on others D. they are able to do any difficult work
10. What can we learn from this story?
A. Never give up and you will succeed. B. We should help the disabled to work.
C. Try your best when facing difficulties. D. We can achieve more with teamwork.
2. C。hear sb. do sth. 的被动语态结构是sb. be heard to do sth. 注意不要忘记加to。
3. A。be made of“由……制成”，指能看出原料。
5. C。as soon as “一……就”; as well as “与……一样”; as long as “只要……”; as far as “同……一样远”。根据题意，故选C。
6. C。考查make a contribution to (doing) sth. “为……作贡献”。
8. D。as long as指“只要”；as soon as指“一……就……”引导时间状语从句；as well指“也”，但放在肯定句的末尾；as well as（doing）指“既……又……”，故选D。
10. A。考查say for certain 确切地说。
1. C。句意：他们听说晚会因为考试推迟了。put on穿上；put up张贴；put off推迟；put down放下。根据句意可知用put off。
3. A。 根据答语的明显时间标志词ago，可知本题所考时态为一般过去时。故答案为A。
1. C。本题考查被动语态，be called表示“被称为”。
2. B。根据题意关于遥远星球的图片和事实是用VoyagerⅠand VoyagerⅡ发回地球的，故
3. D。由下一句“But it is only twenty cents for each American each year. 可知此处用sounds”更合适。
4. A。本题考查so … that …句型。
5. C。at a distance of 固定用法，表示“相隔”。
6. D。sth.+cost+some money，it takes sb. some time to do sth., sb.+spend/pay …，根据以上动词所需要的主语不同，形式不同，所以此题选D。
7. B。for example引出插入语，such as引出同位语。
8. C。put on在此处表示“增加……”（额外提供）。
10. A。a message作主语表示单数，故此处用is。
2. T。从文中第二段“Perhaps they may find that … may soon change，too. ”两句中可找到
4. F。从文中第二段“Today, nearly five hundred weather stations in sixty countries can receive satellite pictures.”一句中可知此答案。
6. B。根据文章第二段的“Neither could find a job, so the two decided to team up. 单独一个人谁都不能找到工作，结果是后面的他们组成了一个团队。从而推理出本题的答案B。
7. A。 根据文章第三段的 “In addition, it saves the village from river flooding during the rainy season.”可知A选项正确。
8. B。根据文章第四段中的 “Since they cannot afford to buy young trees to plant, the two use branches from existing trees. 可知他们种植树枝的原因是他们不花钱，答案为B。
9. C。根据文章倒数第二段可知，他们觉得果实更甜的原因是we stand on our own feet，根据语境这里表示的意思是自己能够独立，与C选项符合，故答案为C。
10. D。文章最后一段的感叹句强调了作者的情感，两个关键点在于：together；the best friendship表明是他们的团队精神让他们能够创造出更多的成果。