源 莲山 课件 w w
w.5Y k J.cOM
Review of Units 3-4
1. John didn’t give up looking for a job __________ he got an offer from a German company.
A. until B. since C. because D. if
2. —I called you yesterday evening, but nobody answered.
—Oh, ______ at that time.
A. I’m cooking B. I cooked C. I cook D. I was cooking
3. －Can I bring a friend to your birthday party?
－Sure, ______ .
A. no problem B. not at all C. my pleasure D. well done
4. —Does Ted tell you ____ he will come next week?
—No, he doesn’t. But ____ he comes, I’ll give you a ring.
A. if; whether B. whether; whether C. if; if D. if; until
5. —How careful Jim is!
—He writes ____ in our class.
A. more careful B. most carefully C. most careful D. more carefully
6. —Help ____ to some soup, children.
A. yourself B. myself C. yourselves D. ourselves
7. Thank you for ____ us to your art festival.
A. inviting B. to invite C. invite D. invited
8. —By the way, Robert sends his best wishes to you.
A. It’s nice of him. B. All right. C. Thank you. D. It’s great.
9. How terrible! The truck hit the wall to avoid ____ the child.
A. hurt B. to hurt C. hurts D. hurting
10. Taiwan is a beautiful place. It is ____ the southeast of China.
A. in B. on C. to D. off
11. —Hello! I’d like to speak to Jim.
A. Here is Jim. B. That’s Jim. C. This is Jim speaking. D. He is Jim.
12. There will be a football match on Sunday, and we’re looking forward to ____ it.
A. watches B. watching C. watch D. to watch
13. —It’s necessary ____ our environment.
—I agree with you.
A. protect B. protecting C. to protect D. protects
14. There ____ a food festival next Wednesday.
A. has B. have C. is going to have D. is going to be
15. Lily moved to the city 3 days ago. Now she still can’t get used to ____ there.
A. lives B. living C. to live D. live
Reading newspapers has become an important part of our everyday life. Some people read newspapers 1 the first thing to do in the morning, others read newspapers as soon as they have free time during the day 2 they can learn what 3 in the world.
People just choose their favorite newspapers. Some like the world news, and 4 prefer short stories. Sometimes we don’t have enough time 5 all the news carefully, so we just 6 a quick look at the front page. At other time, we 7 be in such a hurry that we only have a few minutes to look at the titles(标题) of the passages.
Today, newspapers in English have 8 of readers in the world. The English language is so popular 9 many Chinese students are reading English newspapers, such as China Daily, 21st Century and so on. They bring 10 information together with the Internet. We can’t live without newspapers.
1. A. for B. to C. like D. as
2. A. because of B. so that C. though D. such that
3. A. happens B. happened C. is happening D. will happen
4. A. some B. others C. the others D. else
5. A. to read B. read C. reads D. reading
6. A. get B. take C. bring D. give
7. A. must B. need C. should D. may
8. A. the large number B. the larger number
C. the largest number D. the most large number
9. A. if B. that C. because D. though
10. A. many and many B. many and more C. more and more D. most and most
These days most people in Britain and the U. S. A. do not wear very formal clothes. But sometimes it is important to wear the right clothes.
Many British people don’t think about clothes very much. They just like to be comfortable. When they want to enjoy themselves, they can wear almost anything. At theaters, cinemas and concerts you can wear whatever you like. From beautiful suits and dresses to jeans and sweaters. Anything goes as long as(只要) you look clean and tidy.
But in Britain and the U. S. A. , men in offices usually wear suits and ties, and women wear dresses or skirts(not trousers). Doctors and business people always wear quite formal clothes. And in some hotels and restaurants men have to wear ties and women have to wear tidy dresses.
In many ways, Americans are less formal than British people, but they are more careful with their clothes. At home or on holidays, most Americans wear uniforms or sports clothes. But when they go out in the evening, they like to look nice. But in good hotels and restaurants, men have to wear jackets and ties, and women wear pretty clothes.
It’s hard to say exactly what people wear in Britain and the U. S. A., because everyone is different. If you are not sure what to wear, watch first and then do the same. You’ll feel more comfortable if you don’t look too different from everyone else.
1. People in Britain and the U. S. A. wear informal clothes when they ____.
A. go out to enjoy themselves B. are in offices
C. are in big restaurants D. go out to work
2. At concerts, doctors wear ____.
A. sweaters B. whatever they like
C. what others wear D. like players
3. Which of the following is not true according to the passage?
A. Women are usually not allowed to wear trousers in offices.
B. Officers always wear formal clothes even though they are at home.
C. Americans are more relaxed in their clothes than British people.
D. Though everyone is different, they wear the same clothes in offices.
4. “Anything goes” in the second paragraph means “____”.
A. Any clothes are all right B. Anything wears
C. All the things around are all right D. Not any clothes are all right
5. Men wear ties when they ____ in the U. S. A.
A. meet their families B. meet their close friends
C. eat something delicious D. have dinner in good restaurants
A man took a pair of shoes to a shoe repair shop and said to the shoemaker, “I’d like you to repair these shoes for me, please.”
“Certainly, sir.” the shoemaker said.
“When will they be ready?” the man asked.
“I’m a bit busy, but they will be ready for you on Thursday,” he said.
“That’s fine.” the man said and left the shop.
The next morning he received a letter, offering him a job in another country. Within 24 hours he was on an airplane to his new job.
Twenty years passed and he returned to his hometown.
He remembered his shoes.
“They were a good pair of shoes,” he thought, “I wonder if the shoemaker is still there and still has them. I’ll go and see. ” The same shop, although he was an old man by now.
“Good morning. ” he said to the shoe maker, “Twenty years ago, I brought in a pair of shoes. Do you still have them?”
“Name?” the old shoemaker asked.
“Smith.” the man said.
“I’ll go and see. They may be in the back.”
The shoemaker went out to the back of his shop and a few minutes later returned, carrying a pair of shoes.
“Here they are.” he said, “One pair of brown shoes. I’m a bit busy now, but they’ll be ready on Thursday.”
6. Why did the man go to a shoemaker?
A. They were old friends.
B. He wanted him to make a new pair of shoes.
C. He wanted him to repair a pair of shoes.
D. He had a very old pair of boots. He wanted to repair it.
7. Why didn’t the man return to the shoe repair shop on Thursday?
A. He forgot. B. He went to another country.
C. He was too busy. D. He knew the shoes would not be ready.
8. The man was away from his hometown ____.
A. until Thursday C. until the next morning
C. for about 20 years D. for a few days
9. What did the man do when he returned to his hometown?
A. He looked for a new job. B. He bought a new pair of shoes.
C. He visited all his friends. D. He returned to the shoemaker.
10. The man finally found that ____.
A. his shoes were still there, but the shoemaker didn’t repair them
B. his shoes were not there
C. the shoemaker repaired the shoes
D. the shoemaker lost the shoes
Customs on Eating
Food in China and western countries is different. China has about 5,000 years’ history. They may spend half of their time on food. Chinese people choose food very carefully. They only use fresh materials（新鲜的材料
）to make food. For example, they only eat fresh fish. Chinese have a lot of ideas for cooking. They can cook a chicken in over ten ways. That’s why Chinese food is so popular around the world. Western countries, like England or America, don’t have fresh food because they buy their food from supermarkets which only sell stored materials (储存的材料
). Western people also prefer fast food like hamburgers and chips. They are unhealthy for man’s body. Western people do not have many skills for cooking, mostly they only boil, steam (蒸) and bake the food. By the way, western people are very good at making desserts and chocolate. They can make very good cakes and chocolate. These food are very sweet and they can make you become fat quickly.
In China, the person who invites other people for meal would pay for the meal, but it’s not the same way in western countries. In western countries, people will think you only invite them but don’t need to pay for them. They can afford it. They won’t be happy if you pay for them. In western countries like America or England, people will always give tips (小费) to the waiter after they finish the meal in a restaurant. If you don’t, the waiter will not be happy. In China this only happens in some top restaurants and hotels in large cities like Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou.
Another difference in eating is that: Chinese people use chopsticks and western people use knives and forks.
Chinese people only have three meals during a day. But western people may have more. They usually have afternoon tea when they would have fruit, cakes or biscuits with cheese (奶酪饼干).
11. Do Chinese people use fresh materials or stored materials to make food?
12. Why is Chinese food so popular in the world?
13. What kinds of foods are western people good at making?
14. Will western people be happy if you pay for them?
15. How many meals do Chinese people have during a day?
Many people do not like to stay at home o 1 holidays. They want to go out to see something different, So people from the country come to the c 2 and people from the city go to the country for holidays. During the holidays trains, buses, planes are all very b 3 . It is very hard to buy train tickets o 4 plane tickets. Many people take cars or buses for t 5 .
Last May Day my family went to the country b 6 car for our holiday. There was too much t 7 on the road, so we had to move very slowly. It t 8 us nearly an hour to get out of the town. A 9 some time we came to a hill. It was green and beautiful. We thought this was a good p 10 for a picnic, so we stopped and took the f 11 , fruit and drinks out of the car. We sat down and b 12 to eat. Suddenly a strong wind b 13 and soon it started to rain. We had to r 14 back to our car and have our picnic in the car. Then we drove back home. What a b 15 trip!
1. ________ 2. ________ 3. ________4. ________ 5. ________
6. ________ 7. ________ 8. ________9. ________ 10. ________
11. ________ 12. ________ 13. ________14. ________15. ________
Having a cheetah（猎豹）as a pet in the house? Does it sound scary to you? But for a family in South Africa, one cheetah is treated as a VIP (Very Important Person) in the house.
The big cheetah is named Jolie, after the film star Angelina Jolie. 1 She can often be found eating from the kitchen table, taking a short sleep on the sofa, or even sleeping on Lucy and Jeff’s bed. The big cat also sleeps and plays with the Browns’ other pet, the more usual one — a sheepdog (牧羊犬). 2
Having a cheetah as a pet is unusual. At first, Mrs. Brown wasn’t willing to keep a cheetah as a pet. She said, “ 3 But we are now happy that we did it — she is part of the family.”
Just like her name, four-year-old Jolie has achieved a celebrity status (名人地位) in the Browns’ hometown. Fans often come to their home to take pictures of her. 4
However, a cheetah is always a cheetah. 5 “She makes a lot of mess in the house, urinating (小便) everywhere and chewing everything. It’s her wild instincts (本能),” said Mrs. Brown.
There might be some problems of having a cheetah as a pet in the house, but some unusual fun must also be waiting ahead.
根据短文内容, 从方框中选出五个句子填入文中空缺处, 使短文内容完整正确。
A. Interestingly, Jolie enjoys all the special attention that is paid to her.
B. I was really pleased to have a cheetah as a pet at the beginning.
C. Though Jolie is now a pet in the house, she still has some wild habits.
D. She is surely the VIP at Lucy and Jeff Brown’s home.
E. I was really against the idea of getting a cheetah as a pet.
F. An impossible friendship has happened between these two animals.
A. Here you are.
B. Would you like some pizza?
C. Thanks, but I don’t like it.
D. Do you like them?
E. I want to have some bread.
F. I’d like some Coke.
G. Can I help you?
A: Jay, what would you like to drink?
B: 1 I like it best.
A: I’ll have some orange juice. 2 Pizza here tastes wonderful.
B: But I like cookies. There are many kinds of cookies at this restaurant. 3
A: Yes, they are delicious.
B: I want to have salad, too. I like fruit salad. Please pass me a plate.
B: Thank you.
A: I’d like some ice cream. Would you like some, too?
A: OK. Let’s have our dinner.
Receiver： Li Zhi@163.com
Subject： How to protect the clean water?
Dear Li Zhi，
I feel very excited about my visit to Fuzhou and meeting you for the first time! But I’m still not sure about the following questions：
1. Are there any rivers or lakes in your city?
2. Is the water dirty or clean? Why?
3. Did you do anything useful to protect the clean water?
Please let me know.
Dear Wei Jun，
I am very excited to receive your e-mail. I am interested in your questions.
Looking forward to meeting you soon.
3. A。句意：——我可以带一位朋友参加你的生日聚会吗？——当然，没问题。本题考查情景交际。 no problem没问题；not at all 没关系 ( 回答“感谢”和“对不起”)；my pleasure 我的荣幸（回答感谢）；well done 干得好(回答鼓励)。本题容易误选my pleasure,注意它的固定用法，即对感谢的回答。故选A。
5. B。考查副词的比较等级。句中含有表示范围的介词短语in our class，应用最高级形式。故选B。
6. C。考查help yourself to sth. 的用法。句中有children，用复数形式。故选C。
8. A。考查情景交际。句意为“顺便说一下，Robert把他最美好的祝福送给你。”对于别人的祝愿应该表示感谢。但C的主语是you，不合题意，应该是相对于“他”来说。All right. 意为“好，行”；It’s great. 意为“太棒了”。故选A。
9. D。考查avoid的固定用法。avoid doing sth. 意为“避免做某事”。故选D。
10. A。考查表示方位的介词的用法。台湾是中国不可分割的一部分。表示在中国范围内，应选in。in 表示“在某一范围内”；on 表示“在某一范围外，接壤”；to表示“在某一范围外，不接壤”。故选A。
11. C。考查打电话用语。在电话用语中，提到“我是……”时用“this is ... speaking。”故选C。
12. B。look forward to(prep. )+n. /pron. /v. -ing意为“期望(做)……”。故选B。
13. C。考查形式主语的用法。It’s + adj. + to do sth. 中it是形式主语，to do sth. 是真正的主语。故选C。
14. D。考查There be句型的一般将来时。 There be的一般将来时有There will be， There is/are going to be两种表达方式。next Wednesday 意为“下周三”，作一般将来时的状语。故选D。
15. B。考查固定短语。get used to(prep. ) + n. / pron. / v. -ing习惯……；used to do sth. 过去常常做……；be used to do sth. 被用来做……。故选B。
2. B。句意为“其他人读报为了了解世界上正在发生的事情”。空格处缺少连接目的状语的连接词，应用so that。
4. A。some ... some 表示“一些……一些”。
5. A。enough time to do sth. 意为“足够多的时间做某事”。
6. B。take a look at ... 固定短语，意为“看一看……”。
8. C。英文报纸在世界上拥有最多的读者。in the world表范围，常用最高级。
9. B。so ... that意为“如此……以至于”。
10. C。more and more意为“越来越多”。
1. A。由第二段第三句“When they want to enjoy themselves, they can wear almost anything.”可知，人们在外出游玩时穿衣比较随意。
2. B。由第二段第四句“At theaters, cinemas and concerts you can wear whatever you like.”可知，在音乐会上人们可以穿上自己喜欢的服饰。
3. B。由第四段第二句“At home or on holidays, most Americans wear uniforms or sports clothes.”可知，人们在家中穿着舒适的服装。
4. A。anything goes表示“任何都可以”。
5. D。由第四段最后一句“But in good hotels and restaurants, men have to wear jackets and ties, and women wear pretty clothes.”得知。
6. C。从第一段“I’d like you to repair these shoes for me”可知，他想修鞋。
7. B。从第六段“The next morning he received a letter, offering him a job in another country. Within 24 hours he was on an airplane to his new job.”可知他收到了来自另一个国家的聘任书，24小时内他就上了飞机。
8. C。由第七段“Twenty years passed and he returned to his hometown.”可知，这个人离开了20年。
9. D。从“He remembered his shoes.” 和“I’ll go and see. ”可知。
10. A。由最后一段“Here they are.”和“ I’m a bit busy now, but they’ll be ready on Thursday.”
11. They use fresh materials.
12. Because Chinese have a lot ideas for cooking.
13. They can make very good cakes, desserts and chocolate.
14. No, they won’t.
1. on 2. city 3. busy 4. or 5. traveling/travelling
6. by 7. traffic 8. took 9. After 10. place
11. food 12. began 13. blew 14. run 15. bad
1. D。由后文中提到“She can often be found eating from the kitchen table, taking a short sleep on the sofa, or even sleeping on Lucy and Jeff’s bed.”可知这一句应该提及家里，所以选D。
2. F。“An impossible friendship has happened between these two animals”意为：“友谊，不可能在两种动物之间发生。”由本空的前面提及到各种小动物，可知，这一句应该也是说动物之间的事情。所以选F。
3. E。“I was really against the idea of getting a cheetah as a pet.”意为：“我过去真的反对把猎豹作为宠物的想法。”本段第一句说到：Having a cheetah as a pet is unusual.所以本句和宠物以及猎豹有关。故选E。
5. C。本段又提到动物，“She makes a lot of mess in the house, urinating (小便) everywhere and chewing everything. It’s her wild instincts (本能)”意为“她让很多房子乱七八糟的，到处撒尿（小便）以及到处吃东西。这是她的野性。”可知本句选C。
1. F 2. B 3. D 4. A 5. C
Dear Wei Jun,
I am very excited to receive your e-mail. I am interested in your questions.
There are many rivers in our city. Ming Jiang River is one of the longest rivers. But the water in the river isn’t as clean as before. This is because people cut the trees down a lot. As we know, trees can keep the water much cleaner. On March 12th, we often plant some trees on the hills. More and more trees are growing. I think the water is becoming cleaner and cleaner.
Looking forward to meeting you soon.
源 莲山 课件 w w
w.5Y k J.cOM