Unit 4 Our World
1. Ann used the computer for shopping, _______?
A. used she B. usedn’t she C. did she D. didn’t she
2. You must _______ the traffic lights when you cross the road.
A. pay attention to B. pay attentions to
C. pay attention on D. pay attentions on
3. —How many students are there in your school?
—_______ students, I think.
A. Thousand of B. Three thousands
C. Three thousand D. Three thousands of
4. —Why do you like living in the countryside?
—Because there’s _______ noise and _______ cars there.
A. less; fewer B. fewer; less C. less; less D. fewer; fewer
5. Don’t make me _______ the clothes. I’m too tired!
A. washing B. to wash C. wash D. washed
6. —I think dumplings are _______ more delicious than noodles.
—I don’t agree with you.
A. much B. very C. too D.so
7. —My aunt goes to climb Mount Gu every Sunday.
—Oh? But she _______ hate climbing mountains.
A. used to B. use to C. uses to D.is used to
8. Your classroom is so dirty. Everyone should keep it _______.
A. dry B. open C. quiet D. clean
9. —Wow, your school is great!
—It is _______ school in the city.
A. much more beautiful B. much beautiful
C. the most beautiful D. beautiful
10. Blue whales are the largest and heaviest animals in the world, but they _______ the smallest sea animals.
A. feed in B. live in C. feed on D. fed on
1. I was looking for a birthday gift for my mother, but I couldn’t find ______ suitable.
A. something B. anything C. nothing D. everything
2. —Excuse me, may I keep the book a little longer?
—Sorry. You ________ return it today.
A. must B. mustn't C. can D. can't
3. —______ will the fog and haze last?
— I’ve no idea. There is no sign of an end.
A. How soon B. How far C. How long D. How often
We live in the“computer age”. Long ago computers couldn’t do 1 .They were very big and 2 .They used a lot of energy(能量). Only a few people were 3 in them. Today computers are 4 and cheaper. They can 5 difficult work.
Computers have 6 important for many reasons. They work faster and make fewer mistakes. They can remember much information. A computer can work out millions of problems
7 a few seconds. A person might need years 8 so many problems.
People now use computers in nearly every kind of work. Computers are very useful and the
9 of computers is growing. More computers mean more jobs for people, 10 people need to run(操作) and mend them.
Would you like to learn how to run a computer?
1. A. many B. much C. a lot of D. lots of
2. A. cheap B. cheaper C. expensive D. more expensive
3. A. interest B. interesting C. interests D. interested
4. A. small B. smaller C. big D. bigger
5. A. do B. make C. turn D. eat
6. A. turn B. got C. is D. become
7. A. with B.in C. for D.at
8. A. works out B. work C.to work out D.to work
9. A. use B. useful C. useless D. to use
10. A. why B. how C. because D. what
Do you know why different animals or pests (害虫) have their special colors？Colors on them seem to be used mainly (主要地) to protect themselves.
Some birds like eating locusts (蝗虫), but birds cannot catch them easily. Why? Because locusts change their colors according to the colors of crops (庄稼). When crops are green, locusts look green. But as the harvest time comes, locusts change to the same brown color as crops have. Some other pests with different colors from plants are easily found and eaten by others, so they have to hide (隐藏) themselves and appear (出现) only at night.
If you study animal life, you’ll find the main use of coloring is to protect themselves. Bears, lions and other animals move quietly through forests. They cannot be easily seen by hunters (猎人). This is because they have colors much like the trees.
A kind of fish in the sea can send out a kind of very black liquid (液体) when it faces danger. While the liquid spreads out, its enemies (敌人) cannot find it, so it can escape (逃跑) at once. That is why it can live long, though it is not strong at all.
1. From the passage we learn that locusts _______.
A. are small animals B. are easily found by birds
C. are dangerous to their enemies D. change their colors to protect themselves
2. How can pests with different colors from plants keep out of danger?
A. They run away quickly.
B. They have the colors much like their enemies.
C. They hide themselves by day and appear at night.
D. They have to move quietly.
3. Bears and lions can keep safe because _______.
A. they have the colors much like the trees
B. they move quietly
C. they like brown and grey colors
D. they live in forests
4. Why can the kind of fish live long?
A. Because it is very big and strong.
B. Because it can send out a kind of very black liquid to help it escape from its enemies.
C. Because it can send out a kind of liquid to kill its enemies.
D. Because it swims faster than any other fish.
5.Which is the best title(标题) of this passage?
A. The Change of Colors for Animals and Pests.
B. Colors of Different Pests.
C. The Main Use of Colors for Animals and Pests.
D. Some Animals and Pests.
Zhalong is a nature reserve in Heilongjiang in northeast China. It is one of the world’s most important wetlands. The area provides food and shelter for wildlife. It is an ideal home for different kinds of plants, fish and birds.
Many birds live comfortably in Zhalong Nature Reserve all year round, while some only stay for a short time. There are many fish in the wetlands, and the birds can easily catch them for food. Zhalong Nature Reserve is an important living area for the rare red-crowned cranes. There are not many red-crowned cranes in the world. Some of them live in Zhalong.
Some people want to change the wetlands to make more space for farms and buildings. This means that there will be less and less space for wildlife.
More and more birds are in danger because they do not have enough living space. Many of them died. The Chinese government wants to protect these endangered birds, and they can be safe in Zhalong.
Every year a lot of tourists go to Zhalong to watch birds. This year members of our Bird watching Club are going to study the different kinds of birds in Zhalong and the changes in their numbers. The study begins next month.
We do a bird count once a year. We are now inviting secondary school students to help. We need more people to help us count and do something to help the birds. Many people do not understand the importance of the wetlands. We hope this information will help them understand and make them actively take action to protect wildlife.
6. What is the best title of the passage?
A. Less and Less Space for Wildlife
B. Many Tourists Watch birds in Zhalong Yearly
C. Zhalong is a Famous Scenic Spot
D. Zhalong A Special Place
7. The shelter in the first paragraph means ______.
A. a place to live or stay B. a large zoo
C. a place to hunt animals D. a large park
8. Which of the following sentences is false?
A. There are a lot of red-crowned cranes in other parts of the world.
B. Some birds go to Zhalong for a short stay.
C. Zhalong nature reserve is the comfortable home of many birds.
D. Birds can find food without difficulty in Zhalong.
9. Why are more and more birds endangered? Because ______.
A. many tourists watch them B. many of the birds died
C. people have less and less place D. their living place is less and less
10. This passage is written to ______.
A. ask people to do something for birds.
B. help people learn about protecting wildlife.
C. make people understand how important the wetlands are.
D. ask students all over the world to watch birds.
1.D。此处use ... for ... 意为“用……来(做某事)”，句中used是过去式，所以在反义疑问句中应借助助动词did，根据“前肯后否”原则，故选D。
2.A。考查固定搭配pay attention to… ，意为“注意……”。
3.C。考查数词hundred/thousand等。如果前面有具体数字，其后不跟-s，也不加of，反之，其形式为：hundreds of(数百的)，thousands of(数千的)，故选C。
4.A。考查形容词比较级。分析句意“你为什么喜欢住在农村？”，“因为那儿噪音少车也少。”第一个空格后的noise是不可数名词,第二个空格后的cars是可数名词的复数。从选项分析看, less是little的比较级，fewer是few的比较级，都是“少数的，几乎没有” 的意思，故选A。
5.C。考查非谓语动词。根据make sb. do sth. 句式，make后面省略to的动词不定式在这里充当宾语补足语。故可排除A、B和D，选C。
6.A。考查副词修饰比较级的用法。分析句子，空格后是比较级形式，由于very, too, so不能修饰比较级，much则可以，表示“更……”的意思，故选A。
7.A。考查固定用法。used to “过去常常”；use作为动词,意为“使用”。be used to “习惯于”。上下句意思:“每个星期日，我姑姑都去爬山。”“哦？但是她过去讨厌爬山。”故选A。
8.D。考查keep + n. +adj. 的用法。由句意“你们的教室太脏了，所有人都应该保持教室干净。”可知选D。
9.C。考查形容词最高级。分析句子，空格后是in the city，故应用最高级，由于beautiful是多音节，其最高级用the most beautiful,故选C。
10.C。此题意为“蓝鲸是世界上最大、最重的动物，却以海洋中最小的动物为食”。“以……为食”应用feed on ...，而且这是一种习惯表达法，不需要使用过去时，故选C。
2. A。句意：——请问，这本书我可以借长一点时间吗？——很抱歉，你今天必须把它还回来。本题考查情态动词。根据答语Sorry. 可知今天必须归还，故选A项。
3. C。句意：——雾霾将持续多久？——我不知道，还没有要结束的迹象。本题考查特殊疑问副词词组。how soon多久以后；how far多远(对空间距离提问)；how long多久(对时间段提问)；how often多久一次(对频率提问)。last持续，通常与how long搭配。故C项。
3.D。考查词组固定搭配。由于主语是人,故用be interested in对……感兴趣。
5.A 。考查词义理解。do difficult work 意为“做困难的工作”。
8.C。考查动词固定用法。need sth. to do sth. 表示 “需要……去做某事”。
1.D。从短文第二段开头“…birds cannot catch them easily. Why? Because locusts change their colors according to the colors of crops (庄稼)”可知“蝗虫的颜色随庄稼而变化是为了保护它们自己”。因此选D。
2.C。从文中第二段最后一句“So they have to hide themselves and appear only at night. ”可知答案为C。
3.A 。从文中第三段最后一句“This is because they have the colors much like the trees. ”可知。
4.B。从短文第四段第一句“A kind of fish in the sea can send out a kind of very black liquid (液体) when it faces danger.”可知。
7. A。由本词前的and可知，其表示的内容应该与“provides food”相关；也就是可以生活和居住的地方，故答案选A。
8. A。由第二段的第三句话Zhalong Nature Reserve is an important living area for the rare red-crowned cranes. 扎龙自然保护区是稀少的丹顶鹤的一个重要的生活区；可知选项A是错误的。
9. D。由第三段Some people want to change the wetlands to make more space for farms and buildings. This means that there will be less and less space for wildlife可知越来越多的鸟类濒临危险是因为他们的生活环境越来越少。
10. B。由本文以及最后一段. We hope this information will help them understand and make them actively take action to protect wildlife.可知本文主要目的是让人们学习如何保护野生动物。故答案选B。