Unit 1 Friendship 整体设计
Period 3 Learning about Language?
This is the third teaching period of this unit. The teacher should first check the students’ homework and offer chances for the students to review what they learned in the second period.
The emphasis in this period will be put on the important new words, expressions and sentence patterns. In order to make the students understand these important points thoroughly, the teacher can first get the students to understand their meanings in the context, then give some explanations about them, and later offer some practices to let the students know their usages. At last make the students do more exercises for consolidation.
The teacher should be expected to carefully design class activities to encourage the students to be active in class so as to enable the students to grasp and use these language points both orally and in written form. Make sure the students are willing to take part in the activities in class and get ready to cooperate with each other. In doing so, the students can learn, grasp and use these important language points well.
Enable the students to grasp the usages of such important new words and expressions as outdoors, upset, loose, ignore, series, face to face, be concerned about, go through, set down, in order to, and so on.
How to enable the students to understand some difficult and long sentences.
1. Discussing, summarizing and practicing
2. Cooperative learning
The multimedia and other normal teaching tools
Get the students to learn and grasp some important new words and expressions: add ignore concern upset loose series calm down have got to be concerned about go through hide away set down a series of in order to face to face
1. Enable the students to use some useful words and expressions correctly.
2. Enable the students to learn how to understand new words, expressions and difficult sentences according to the context.
Develop the students’ spirit of cooperation and teamwork.
→Step 1 Revision
1. Check the homework exercises.
2. Ask some students to talk about their friends and what qualities and behavior make good friends. Also may ask them to talk about Anne’s best friend, her diary.
→Step 2 Reading and exercise
Get the students to try to find out the words and expressions as quickly as possible in the related parts and let them learn some important new words and expressions by studying their contexts.
The teacher shows the following on the screen.
1. Find the words and expressions .
1) not inside a building.
2) feeling disturbed.
3) to be worried about.
4) free, not tied up.
5) to experience something.
6) to take no notice of.
7) staying close to and looking at somebody.
8) to become quiet after nervous activity.
9) number of things that happen one after another.
2. Fill in the blanks with the words and expressions in the Reading to complete the following sentences.
1)Friends are just the people who______________ your happiness and sorrow.
2)You really don’t know what we______________ while working on the farm.
3)I have______________ everything that happened, as I remember it.
4)She______________ singing and dancing.
5)Tom did something wrong to his brother, but he said he didn’t do that______________ .
6)______________ catch the first bus, she got up early this morning.
7)The naughty boy______________ and his parents didn’t find him anywhere.
8)A deep blue sky, white clouds, green trees and red flowers and fresh air held me_______________ .
→Step 3 Checking
Explain the problems the students meet while checking the answers.
1. 1)outdoors 2)upset 3)be concerned about 4)loose 5)go through 6)ignore 7)face to face 8)calm down 9)series
2. 1)share 2)went through 3)set down 4)is crazy about 5)on purpose 6)In order to 7)hid away 8)entirely in their power
→Step 4 Language Points
1)vt. &vi. (upset; upset)to make someone feel unhappy or worried 使不安；使心烦
I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you.
Her friend’s sudden death upset him very much.
2)adj. (not before noun)unhappy and worried 心烦意乱的；心情不舒适的
She was still upset about the argument that she had had with Harry.
She is really feeling upset about losing lots of money.
2. ignore vt.
1)to behave as if you had not seen or heard someone or something不理睬；忽视
Some drivers simply ignore speed limits.
He completely ignored all these facts as though they never existed.
She saw him coming but she ignored him.
2)to pay no attention to something that you have been told or that you know about忽略（不计）
The policeman ignored personal danger to save a little girl.
ignorance n. 无知 ignorant adj. 无知的；愚昧的；不知道的
1)adj. quiet and without excitement, nervous activity or strong feelings平静的；镇静的，沉着的
Keep calm, and try not to panic.
She tried to keep calm about it.
2)vt. & vi. to make someone or something quiet after strong emotion or nervous activity (使)平静，(使)镇定；平息
Charlie tried to calm the frightened children.
The crying child soon calmed down.
calm down vt. &vi. to become quiet or make someone quiet after strong emotion or nervous activity(使)平静下来，(使)镇定下来
When she heard the news, she was so excited that nothing could calm her down.
Calm down and tell me what happened.
Wait till you are more______________. It’s better to be sure than sorry.
A. inspired B. certain C. calm D. satisfied
4. set down to put or lay down; to write down sth. so that you have a record of it 放下，搁下；记下，写下
Set down your heavy bag and take a rest.
I want to set down my feelings on paper.
set apart to make someone or something different from other people or things 使突出，使与众不同
set aside to keep some money or time for a special purpose 存储，拨出
set off to start to go somewhere; to cause an explosion 出发，动身；使爆炸
set out to start a journey or to talk about something in an organized way 出发，开始；陈述，阐明
set up to start an organization; to build something 设立，开办；竖起，建起
1)They______________ the experiment yesterday.
A. set about to do?B. set out doing
C. set aside doing?D. set out to do
2)The Chinese delegation group will______________ for America tomorrow.
A. set apart B. set aside C. set off D. set up
5. go through to examine carefully; to experience审阅，检查；经历（困难、痛苦等）
I went through the students’ papers last night.
You really don’t know what we went through while working on this project.
1)n. worry; thing that is important or interesting to sb. 担心；对某人来说是重要的或感兴趣的事
There is growing concern about/over the effects of pollution on health.
The rise in unemployment is of great concern to the government.
2)vt. to make someone feel worried or upset使某人担忧；使烦恼
The fact that she spends so much money on her own really concerns me.
More and more people are concerning themselves with/about environmental problems.
be concerned about/for be worried about关心；挂念
Ross has never been concerned about what other people think of him.
Rescuers are concerned for the safety of those trapped in the mine.
7. purpose n. an intention or plan; the feeling of having an aim in life目的；意图；决心；意志
What is your purpose in doing that?
He walked with a stride full of purpose.
on purpose deliberately; intentionally; not by accident有意地；故意地；并非偶然的
I came here on purpose to see you.
8. suffer vt. &vi.
1)fell pain, discomfort, great sorrow, etc. 感到疼痛、不适、悲伤等
Do you suffer from headache?
Think how much the parents of the kidnapped boy must have suffered.
2)to experience or undergo something unpleasant遭受；经历
We suffered huge losses in the financial crisis.
In recent games their team has suffered several defeats.
3)to become worse; lose quality变坏；变差；变糟
Your studies will suffer if you play too much football.
Her business suffered when she was ill.
4)to tolerate; stand忍受；容忍；经得起
I will not suffer such conduct.
She could not suffer criticism.
suffer for 为……而受苦
He suffered for his carelessness.
suffer from 患……病；受……之苦
The child suffers from measles.
→Step 5 Homework
Learn the new words and expressions by heart.
There are many proverbs about friends and friendship. Surf the Internet to find some out, try to translate and learn as many as possible. The purpose of this activity is to encourage students to make use of the Internet to enrich their language knowledge. It can also make students think more about questions on friend and friendship, realize further the values of friends and friendship, and learn how to make friends, how to get along with friends and how to treasure friendship.
Proverbs on friends and friendship:
1. A friend to everybody is a friend to nobody.
2. A faithful friend is hard to find.
3. A friend without faults will never be found.
4. A true friend is known in the day of adversity.
5. A friend is never known till a man has need.
6. Misfortune tests the sincerity of friends.
7. Old friends and old wines are best.
8. Everything is good when new, but friend when old.
9. Familiar paths and old friends are the best.
10. A bosom friend afar brings distant land near.
11. Friends may meet, but mountains never greet.
12. We can live without a brother, but not without a friend.
13. A life without a friend is a life without a sun.
14. A thousand friends are few, one enemy is too many.
15. A friend in court is better than a penny in purse.
16. Between friends all is common.
17. When a friend asks, there is no tomorrow.
18. A ready way to lose friend is to lend him money.
19. Friends are like fiddle-strings, they must not be screwed too tight.
20. An empty purse frightens many friends.
21. He that has a full purse never wants a friend.
22. Friendship—one soul in two bodies.
23. Friendship is love with understanding.
24. Friendship multiplies joys and divides grieves.
25. Friendship cannot stand always on one side.
26. Friendship, the older it grows, the stronger it is.