高一英语Unit2 English Around the World period3教案
(STANDARD ENGLISH AND DIALECTS)
To read out and talk about STANDARD ENGLISH AND DIALECTS
To write about learning English by brainstorming
1. Introduction: In China there’re so many dialects that the government encourages the whole nation to speak Putonghua, which is regarded as standard Chinese.
2. Role-play: Get students to work in pairs. Let one student be a Chinese and the other a foreigner. Role-play a conversation about the Chinese language to have them discuss why Putonghua has to be used in China.
1. Get the students thinking about the topic of the text to predict what it says.
Read quickly to find the topic sentence for each paragraph.
Para. 1:There is no such a thing asStandard English.
Para. 2: AmericanEnglish has manydialectswhose wordsandexpressions are different from“standard English”.
Para. 3: Geography plays a part in making dialects.
3. Scanning: Work in pairs. Read the text to locate particular information.
1). Do you know what Standard English is from the text?
2). What is a dialect? Why does American English have so many dialects?
4. Language focus:
1) believe it or not: used when you are going to say something that is true but surprising: Believe it or not, John cheated in the exam.
2).there is no such a …as: used to say that a particular person or thing does not exist: These days there is no such a thing as a job for life.
3).standard English: the form of English that most people in Britain use, and that is not limited to one area or group of people
4).dialect: a variety of a language spoken only in one area, in which words, or grammar are slightly different from other forms of the same language
5).play a part/role in: be one of the causes that make something happen: Besides dieting, exercising plays an important part in losing weight.
To introduce the students to a dialect and a form of standard “English”.
You may follow these steps:
1). Set the context for the students by describing the situation;
2). Tell the class: you are going to listen to a boy named Buford. He speaks a Southern dialect of AmE with an East, Texas accent. Remember: pronunciation is determined by accent. On the other hand, Buford’s teacher, Jane, speaks standard BrE. (i.e. what is heard on the BBC.)
3). Play the tape for the students to listen.
4). Encourage the students to give the standard equivalents for the dialectic words from Buford’s story, using the context.
from Buford’s story
should have seen
got out of
6). Play the tape again and let the students answer the questions in pairs after listening.
7). Check the answers. (Variant: you may also ask the students to retell Buford’s story in Standard English in pairs.)
1. Make sure the students know that the word used for directions often vary depending on what kind of English the speaker uses. Present the list to the students:
Amy (American) Lady (British)
left left-hand side
keep going straight go straight on
two blocks two streets
right right-hand side
2. Prepare their role-play in pairs: Be sure that one plays a speaker of British English and the other a speaker of American English. Ask students to select actual streets and location in their hometown for giving directions.
1. Performance: Ask two pairs to perform their dialogue in class.
S1: Excuse me, sir. But I can’tfind the drugstore?
S1: I said I couldn’t find the chemist’s shop.
S2: Well, go round the corner on your right-hand side, straight on and cross the flyover. You will find it ahead.
S1: Thank you very much.
S3: What did he say?
S1: He told us to go round the corner on the right, go straight on and then cross the overpass. The drugstore will be ahead.
Did you cooperate well with your partner(s) while practicing?
Can you ask for directions and give directions clearly?
Can you express your ideas fluently? If not, what’s your main problem?
Did you go naturally between American English and British English while talking to each other.
1. Making a poster
First ask the students to make educated guesses about how English can help some aspect of Chinese life, in particular its economy.
Then, in pairs students work on their poster.
Finally, ask several pairs to present their poster in class for assessment.
A Sample poster
CHINA’S FUTURE LIES WITH LEARNING ENGLISH
Reasons for learning English:
※ World trade is done in English;
※ International organization (such as the UN) use English;
※ We need contact with the developed Western world to build our country;
※ The developed world uses English in its dealings.
Why the Chinese language will not do?
※ Very few people in the West speak Chinese;
※ Chinese is a difficult language to learn;
※ Most businessmen do not have time to learn new languages every time they enter a new international market.
SO CHINA’S FUTURE LIESWITHLEARNING ENGLISH
1) Can you give persuasive reasons for the topic on your poster?
2) Can you verbalize your ideas fluently?
3) Can you put your own English learning experiences into a broader perspective?
4) Can you organize your ideas in a logical way?
5) Have you made a brainstorming map before you set out to design your poster? Do you think it helps your writing?
6) What kind of mistakes have you made in your writing? What can you do to avoid such mistakes?
The teacher may also guide the students to do the writhing task in the Workbook on page 53. You may take the following steps:
Step 1: Students divided into groups of four share their own learning experiences and ideas about English learning.
Step 2: Students make a list as follows:
Ideas for improvement
Why I like English
Step 3:Make notes about the paragraphs for the writing.
Step 4: The teacher helps develop ideas in a positive and encouraging way.
Step 5: Students write about the topic after class as homework.
My experience of learning English
Many people all over the world speak English as their second language. It is not too much to say that it has become an international language.
Studying English can make life fun. It enables you to watch American movies, read English books and listen to English songs. Moreover, as English is an international language, you will be able to communicate with foreigners when you are on a trip abroad. Traveling will be more interesting that way.
It is a good idea to make friends with foreigners. In my opinion, it is the best way to improve your English. In addition, it will be fun and it will expand your view of the world. If you make friends with a native speaker, you can practice your spoken English more often and then you can communicate with people around the world. You can also become familiar with the customs and habits of different cultures.
There are some people who are afraid to make friends with foreigners because they are not confident of their English. However, many foreigners do not care about grammar. They will get your key words in the sentence and figure out the whole meanings. Therefore, it is unnecessary to be afraid to make friends with them; just go head!
Learning English helps us meet different people and learn more about their culture, thus facilitating mutual understanding and harmony. Briefly said, English is so useful to us that we should all learn it.
Copyright© 2006-2020 主站 www.5ykj.com , All Rights Reserved 闽ICP备12022453号-30