Module 4 Carnival（Period One）
1. To revise Chinese and western festivals.
2. To develop the students reading ability.
3. To understand what is about Carnival.
Important and difficult points:
1 Get the students to understand the history of carnival.
2 Get the students to describe the festivals in groups.
Step 1. Revision.
Read the new words of this passage.
Step 2. Introduction
1. We have learned many festivals both Chinese and the Western. What festivals do you know?
Divide the class into 2 groups. One group is for Chinese Festivals, the other group is for Western festivals.
Make a list of them on the blackboard..
2. Turn to Page 31—Match the festivals with the description.
Step 3. Lead-in
Today we will learn another festival ---- Carnival. It originates from Europe, and during these
days, people often love wearing special clothes and masks for it.
Step 4. Fast-reading
Match the main idea with every paragraph.
Paragraph 1 A meaning of carnival and how it was celebrated
Paragraph 2 B the law about wearing masks
Paragraph 3 C general impression of carnival
Paragraph 4 D how it is celebrate today in Venice and the feature of it
Paragraph 5 E carnival in Venice and the problem it caused
Paragraph 6 F the revival of the tradition of celebrating it.
(Answers: 1—6 CAEBFD)
Step 5. Further-reading
Read the passage and answer the questions.
1. Where does Carnival come from? What does it mean?
2. When was it celebrated?
3. Where was the most famous Carnival in Europe?
4. How long did the first Carnival in Venice last? What about now?
5. Did the government of Venice encourage the wearing of masks?
6. Who started the Carnival again, tourists or students?
(Answers: 1. “Carnival” comes from two Latin words, meaning “no more meat”. 2. It began
just after Christmas. 3. The most famous carnival in Europe was in Venice. 4. At the
beginning, it lasted for just one day. 5. No. 6. The students started the Carnival. )
Step 6. Vocabulary
Activity 1: Read through the words in the box and have the students repeat them individually.
Ask the students to complete the task individually, then check with a partner.
Check the answers together:
(Answers: 1. confusion 2. excitement 3. mask 4. mystery 5. magic 6. costume 7. crowd
8. tradition 9. atmosphere)
Activity 2: Choose the correct meanings of the words and phrases.
Check the answers one by one.
(Answers: 1—4 babb 5—8 abbb)
Step 7. Discussion
Discuss in groups of four.
1. What is the feature of carnival in Venice?
2. Which is your favourite festival?
Step 8. Homework
1. Workbook—on Page 87.
Read the passage and match the headings with the text.
2. Write a short passage about your favorite festival.
1. To listen to the description about western customs.
2. To express likes, dislikes and preferences:
(1) I love doing…;
(2) I don’t like…; I hate…; I dislike…; I don’t care much for
(3) I prefer…to…; I prefer doing …
(4) I’d rather…than…
(5) I an interested in…
3. To learn several phrases.
Difficult and important points:
1. Get the students to express likes and dislikes
2. Learn to use the phrases: give up; go wild ;more or less; high spot; funnily enough; in your blood; wash down; walk off
Step 1. Revision
Check the homework.— Ask several students to read the short passage with the name of My Favorite Festival.
Step 2. Vocabulary
1. Read the words about food.
2. Now say which things you eat at a festival.
Activity 2: Find these things in the box in Activity 1.
(1) Two type of meat ( )
(2) a food that consists of a tube of skin containing meat mixed with herbs. ( )
(3) five vegetables ( )
(4) two ingredients for making a cake ( )
(Answers: (1) pork and chicken (2) sausages (3) beans, cabbages, garlic, onion, peas
(4) flour, eggs)
Step 3. Listening
Before listening—Look at the photos in Activity 4 and tell them every picture meaning a special festival..
While listening—Listen to the tape twice and match the names of the festivals with the photos.
Complete the table
Name Where? When How long Origin Food
Caitlin New Orleans, USA Jan.—Feb. 2 months 18th century King Cakes
Cameron Notting Hill, London Last weekend in August weekend 1960s Chicken ,rice andpeas
Maria Rio, Brazil February 5 days 1850 Feijoada
Stefan Germany Sept—Oct. 2 weeks 1810 Sausages and sauerkraut
Step 4. Everyday English
1. Read the sentences and choose the correct meaning of the words and phrases.
2. Check the answers one by one. (1)-b (2) a (3) b (4)a (5) b (6) a (7)a (8)b
3. Explain the words and phrases.
(1)give up sth. =don`t have it any more
(2) go/wild with joy 欣喜若狂
(3) more or less =approximately (opposite)exactly.
Eg: That is approximately correct.
(4) high spot= the best part
(5) be/run in sb.`s blood = be /run in the blood. 生来就有的（因遗传或环境影响）
eg; Most of my family are teachers, it runs in the blood.
(6) wash down a meal = have a drink
walk off a meal = help the food go down by walking.
Step 5. Function
1. Match the sentences with the speakers. Say what they are speaking about.
(1)Caitlin: King Cake
(3) Stefan: saugages
(4) Cameron: traditional Jamaican food –chicken with rice and peas.
2. Number the phrases from the most negative to the most positive
(1) Ask the students to do this individually.
(2) Call the answers back from the whole class, one at a time, from 1--6
(3) Write down them on the blackboard:
3. Work in pairs. Discuss your preferences for food to eat at festival. Use the phrases in Activity2.
(1) Read the example with the class.
(2) Pair the students to discuss their preferences.
(3) Circulate and monitor their production.
Step 6. Homework
Finish off the workbook.
1. To learn more about carnival.
2. To teach them how to write an e-mail.
3. To develop the students’ reading skills.
Difficult and important points:
1. Get the students to learn to write an e-mail.
2. Get the students to understand some important sentences.
Step 1. Revision
Read the words and have a dictation.
Step 2. Lead-in
What do you remember about carnival?
Where did it start first?
Step 3. Fast-reading:
Read and underline the topic sentences ( use your own words ) about every paragraph.
Paragraph1: We can understand what carnival is all about by reading the history of America and the meeting of two cultures.
Paragraph2: The slave trade brought millions of black people to the new world.
Paragraph3: The slaves were forced to watch their European masters to celebrate carnival and then they began to hold carnival with their own features.
Paragraph4: Carnival became a celebration of freedom.
Paragraph5: As time went on, carnival became a way of uniting different communities and now it has become a celebration of life itself.
Step 4. Further reading
1. What did marked the beginning of the slave trade?
2. How were millions of people taken to work as slaves?
3. How did the slaves begin to hold their own carnival in Trinidad?
4. When was the slave trade abolished?
5. How was carnival changed when the slave trade was abolished?
6. When did carnival become a way to unite different communities?
(Answers: 1 That the arrival of European in America, and the opening of huge farms and plantations to grow cotton, fruit and vegetables, meant there was an immediate need to people to work on them marked the beginning of the slave trades. 2 Millions of people were taken by force from their homes in America and transported to the New World to work as slaves? 3. They painted their faces white, imitating their masters and making fun of them. 4. The slave trade was abolished in 1838. 5. It became more colourful and more exciting than it had been before. 6. As people forgot their everyday problems and enjoyed themselves eating, drinking, and dancing.)
Step 5. Several phrases
(1) by force (2) be forced to do (3)make fun of sb. (4) bring good luck
(5) take over (6) take part in (7) become a celebration of freedom (8) with the time passing
Step 6. Discussion
1. What is the meaning of carnival?
2. Which Chinese festival is most like carnival?
Step 7. Reading and writing
Activity1. Read the email and number the things in the order you read them
1. Read through the things with the whole class and make sure that they understand them all.
2. Ask them to read the email and order the things individually, then check with a partner.
3. Call back the answers from the whole class, in order.
(Answers: 1. the atmosphere at the festival 2. the music 3. the food 4. what the writer’s doing
5. what the writer’s going to do)
Activity2. Underline the adjectives used to describe.
1. the atmosphere: noisy/ colourful
2. the music: great/ exciting/ relaxing
3. the food: good/ tasty
Activity3 Write an email from a Chinese festival. Make sure of the details about:
1. the atmosphere
2. the music
3. the food
Step 8. Homework
Write a description of the festival for visitors to China.( For example: Spring Festival)
1. To learn new words and expressions and learn how to use them.
2. To review of the passive voices.
Difficult and important points:
1. Get the students to know how to use passive voices:
2. The usage of: hide, pretend, memory, wander, come to an end, dress up; consist of
be good for ,date from.
Step 1. Revision
Read the sentences and find out what grammar are they?
1. Is the room cleaned every day?
2. We were woken up by a loud noise during the night.
3. Something must be done before it is too late.
4. Have you heard the news? The President has been shot?
5. The car was three years old but hadn’t been used very much.
6. There’s somebody walking behind us. I think we are being followed.
Step 2. Presentation— 被动语态
被动语态的基本形式是: be +过去分词 根据时态的不同, be的形式有所变化.
(1) 一般现在时的被动语态: am/is /are+过去分词 (口语可用get/become或got /became)
(2) 一般过去时的被动语态:was /were+过去分词
(1) 主动变被动时双宾语的变化. 看下列例句
My friend gave me an interesting book on my birthday.
— An interesting book was given to me (by my friend) on my birthday.
—I was given an interesting book (by my friend) on my birthday.
The boss made him work all day long.
— He was made to work all day long (by the boss).
—The children were taken good care of ( by her).
—Your pronunciation and spelling should be paid attention to.
(4) 情态动词和be going to, be to, be sure to ,used to, have to, had better等结构变被动语态,只需将它们后面的动词原形变为be +过去分词。
(5) 当句子的谓语为say, believe, expect, think, know, write, consider, report等时,被动语态有两种形式:
People say he is a smart boy.
—It is know that he is a smart boy.
—He is said to be a smart boy.
People know paper was made in China first.
—It is known that paper was made in China.
—Paper was known to be made in China.
类似句型有: It is said/ know/ suggested/believed/ hoped /thought that…..
Practice: Rewrite the sentences in the passive voice.
1. Tourists from all over the world visit Venice.
2. Trained artists make many of the carnival masks.
3. Rich people gave parties every day for a month.
4. The Portuguese and the Spanish took carnival to South America.
5. In London the West Indian community created the Notting Hill Carnival.
6. Today millions of people enjoy carnival.
(Answers: 1. Venice is visited by tourists from all over the world. 2. Many of the carnival masks are made by trained artists. 3. Parties were given every day for a month by rich people. 4. Carnival was taken to South America by the Portuguese and the Spanish. 5. The Notting Hill Carnival in London was created by the West Indian community. 6. Carnival is enjoyed by millions of people today.)
Step 3. Language points
1. hide (hid, hidden) vt. 隐藏；掩饰（感情）；遮住。vi. 躲藏
hiding: (u.n)躲藏处，痛打 (c.n)
(1) 包庇坏人 hide up
(2) 躲藏（口）hide out
(3) 躲藏；隐藏 hide away
(4) 把某事隐瞒着某人 hide sth. from sb.
He hid the letter in a drawer.
They hid me from the police in their attic.
He hid behind a false identity.
She struggled to hide her disappointment.
He hid his face in his hands.
2. pretend vi.,vt. 假装；伪称；装扮；假想
（1）pretend to do sth. 假装干某事…….
（2）pretend to be doing假装正在干…….
（3）pretend to have done假装干了…….
(5) pretend to sth.（通常用于否定句和疑问句）自称；自认为
He pretended not to notice.
He pretended to his family that everything was fine.
He pretended to be doing his homework.
I can’t pretend to any great musical talent.
I don’t pretend that I know much about the subject, but….
3. memory n. 记忆；记忆力；回忆；记忆的东西
memorize vt. 默记；记住
memorial adj. 纪念的；记忆的
（2）in memory of
（3）have a good/ poor memory
e.g.: (1) 我不善于记名字。
I have a bad memory for names.
She can recite the whole poem from memory.
There hasn’t been peace in the country in/ within my memory.
People have short memories.
4. wander vi.,vt. 漫步；闲逛；徘徊；迷路；离题
wanderer n. 漫游者；流浪汉
相关短语：（1）wander about 徘徊；流浪；彷徨
（2）wander from the subject 离开主题
e.g.: (1) He wandered aimlessly around the streets.
(2) The child was found wandering the streets.
5. confusion n. 混乱；困惑；混淆；困窘
He looked at me in confusion and did not answer my question.
Her unexpected arrival threw us into total confusion.
6. dress up 穿上盛装；乔装打扮；修饰
相关短语: (1) dress down 责备；斥责
(2) be /get dressed ( in ) 穿着…..
(3) dress sb./ oneself 给某人/自己穿衣服
(4) dress (sb.) (for/in/as sth.)
e.g.: (1) 这些男孩都装扮成了海盗。
The boys were all dressed up as pirates.
He was dressed in jeans and T-shirt.
Hurry up and get dressed.
7. consist of = be made up of = be composed of 由… ….组成
Our class consists of 60 students.
consist in 以……为主；在于
Happiness consists in struggle.
consist with 并存；一致
Theory should consist with practice.
8. by force 强行；强迫，用暴力
The people were taken away by force.
We will achieve much more by persuasion than by force .
9. date back to = date from 追溯到…..
e.g.: 他们（面具）的使用受到法律的限制， 最早可追溯到14 世纪。
Their use was limited by laws, the first of which dates back to the fourteenth century.
10. make fun of 取笑某人……
Don’t make fun of others.
11. go/be wild about sth. 对某事有热情；热衷于……
My son is wild about racing cars.
12. (1)be good for 对……有好处
e.g.: Sports are good for health.
(2)be good at 擅长于…..
e.g.: Eskimos are good at hunting.
(3)be good to 对……友好，和蔼可亲
e.g.: It is Christmas Eve. Be good to me.
Setp 4. Practice
Choose the best answers:
1. He kept a little notebook, in which ______ the names and addresses of his friends.
A. wrote B. was writing C. was written D. were written
2 .The number of deaths from heart disease will be reduced greatly if people_____ to eat more fruit and vegetables.
A. persuade B. will persuade C. be persuaded D. are persuaded
3. —George and Lucy got married last week. Did you go to their wedding?
—No. I _____. Did they have a big wedding?
A. wasn’t invited B. Haven’t been invited
C. had been invited D. didn’t invite
4. The hero’s story _____ differently in the newspaper.
A. was reported B. was reporting C. reports D. reported
5. Sarah, hurry up. I am afraid you won’t have time to ____ before the party.
A. get changed B. get change C. get changing D. get to change
6. It is not prefer for you to _____ the truth from your husband.
A. prevent B. protect C. hide D. defend
7. He asked so many questions that I got completely____.
A. confused B. confusing C. confusion D. confuses
8. Mrs Black was very angry with her husband because he made their rooms ____ while she was on holiday.
A. with confusion B. on confusion C. confused D. in confusion
9.—I beg your pardon?—Your mind must be ____ when I was speaking, wasn’t it?
A. wondering B. wandering C. walking D. speaking
10. The lady ____ and went to the hall happily.
A. dressed up B. dressed herself up C. wore up D. put up
(Answers: 1—5 DDAAA 6—10 CADBB)
Step 5. Homework
Finish off the workbook on Page 91.
Copyright© 2006-2021 主站 www.5ykj.com , All Rights Reserved 闽ICP备12022453号-30