Module 4 Music
Period One Speaking and Introduction
Teaching aims: 1. To know about some English vocabulary related to music. 2. To have a discussion about music and express their own opinions freely. 3. To develop the Ss’ speaking ability by practicing saying the familiar topic. Important and difficult points: 1. Get the Ss to know about as much music knowledge as possible. 2. Enable the students to recognize some musical instruments. 3. Arouse the students’ interests in music. Teaching procedures: Speaking Lead-in Firstly, ask the students “How many kinds of music do you know?” Then ask them to speak the general categories about music as follow:
Traditional Chinese music
Work in groups of four to answer the questions and make a list of your answers:
1. What is your favourite kind of music?2. How long have you been listening to it? 3. When do you listen to music? 4. How do you listen to music? 5. Why do you listen to music? Activity 2
Write a short report about the music interests and habits of your group. Use these expressions:
My favourite kind of music is …but Yang’s favorite music is…My favorite artist is… I’ve been listening to music…for/since… I like listening to music when I’m… Introduction Step 1. Leading-in Firstly, lead in by playing a piece of music Liang zhu（梁祝）played by violin or Guzheng for the students to listen. Then ask them “What kind of musical instrument is the piece of music played by?” Next, brainstorm musical instruments: “How many kinds of musical instruments do you know?” At the same time, in order to make the students know about some English vocabulary related to music, show the students some pictures and ask them to recognize the musical instruments as follows:
The konghou is an instrument with strings. It came to
The guzheng has been used for more than 2,300 years.It looks like a table harp.
The pipa is a lute with four strings and is a relative of the European lute. It came to
The yueqin is a round instrument like a mandolin. It was called qinpipa during the Han Dansty.
Period Two Reading & Vocabulary
Teaching aims and demands: ⒈ To learn about some vocabulary and knowledge related to music. ⒉ To catch the general idea of the whole passage. ⒊ To understand the affection of the author. ⒋ To be good at grasping the key words and recognizing the new words according to the context. ⒌ To develop their love and interests in music by knowing more about some musicians. Teaching key points: To make the students grasp the usage of some vocabulary and phrases. Teaching difficulty: To develop their reading abilities and the awareness of the appreciation. Teaching aid: Multi-media Teaching procedures: Step 1. Fast reading Activity 1
Ask the students to read through the text quickly and find out the information about Liu Fang
|Year of birth||
|The place she is living now||
|The school she went to||
|The person who first taught her the instruments||
|The musical instruments she plays||
Ask the students to find out the answers to the following questions, while listening and reading the text:
1. How many the musical instruments she plays?
2. What has an influence on her in her music career?
3.What’s her ambition regarding Chinese music?
Answers: ①The pipa, the guzheng, the yueqin.
②The main influence is traditional singing.
③she wish to introduce classical Chinese pipa and guzheng music to every corner of the world.Step 2. Intensive reading Activity 1
Ask the students to match the words with their meanings:
concert conservatory repertoire soloist technique tune
1. a musician who performs alone ________2. a way of doing something, for example, playing an instrument ________ 3. another word for melody or in the air ________ 4. an event where musicians play ________ 5. all the pieces of music that a musician can play ________ 6. a school where musicians study ________
Answers: 1.soloist 2. technique 3. tune 4. concert 5. repertoire 6. conservatoryActivity 2 Ask the students to complete the following sentences with the correct form of the words in the box.
challenge combine interpret silence title traditional
1. She likes to __________ musical styles from east and west.2. What is the _____of the piece she played? 3. I like listening to ___________Chinese folk songs. 4. It’s a great __________ to play an instrument like the pipa. 5. Sometimes there is a long ________in the middle of the piece. 6.I like the way she ___________classical pieces.
Answers:1. combine 2. title 3. traditional 4. challenge 5. silence 6. interpretsActivity 3
Ask the Ss to read part 1 of the passage and explain the following references.
1)...during her visit to
1. (The Queen of
2. (Pipa school)
3. (To respect traditional but add her own style when playing)Activity 4 Ask the Ss to read part 2 of the passage and choose the correct answers.
1. When people listen to her playing,________.(a) they also hear her singing (b) they think they can hear her singing 2. Liu Fang thinks that _________. (a) Chinese music is like the Chinese language (b) Chinese music and language use the same tones 3. Chinese classical pieces often have poetic titles,______. (a) which is understandable (b) which is very surprising 4. Empty spaces in Chinese paintings_______. (a) are like the silent parts of Chinese music (b) mean the pictures have no life Answers: 1. b 2. a 3. a 4. a Activity 5 Ask the Ss to read part 3 of the passage and answer the following questions.
1. What does Liu Fang enjoy about performance?2. What makes her feel depressed or lonely? 3. What does she want to do with other musicians? Answers:1. The atmosphere in a concert hall. 2. When she has no concert for along time
3. Work with them.
Activity 6 Ask the Ss to complete the passage use the correct words in the text. Liu Fang, who was _____ in 1974, is an __________ music star. Since the age of six, she has played ____, and since the age of eleven she has given concerts including the performance for ___________________. She studied _______________ during her university. When she was five years old, her mother, who was ______________, taught her to play the ________. In 1996, she and her husband moved to ________.
For her ,the biggest challenges of playing the pipa and guzheng are________________________________________. The main influence on Liu Fang is ________________. When she is playing, listeners say that they can _____________ in her music.Chinese music ___________ the Chinese language. Chinese classical pieces have poetic titles, which is ________________. ____________ in Chinese paintings are like the silent parts of Chinese music.
Answers: 1. born 2. international 3. pipa 4. the Queen of
Step 3. Homework: Work in pairs and have a discussion on the following questions.
1. What about Liu Fang impressed you most?2. Do you think Liu Fang is successful as an artist? Give possible reasons if you think so.
Period Three Language Study
Teaching objectives and demands:1. To learn new words and expressions and learn how to use them. 2. To understand some a little long but complex sentences. Teaching keys and difficulties: The usage of: give concerts; graduate from; be true of/for; tune; experience(v./n.); share sth. with sb.; make contact with; wish. Teaching procedures: Step 1. Revision 1. Check what they learn in the previous class. 2. Get students to. Step 2. Important words, phrases, & sentences.
1. She’s given concerts since she was eleven, including a performance for the Queen of England during her visit to China.(Part1. para.1)11岁起她就举办演奏会，包括英国女王访华期间为女王做的一场演出。
give concerts 举行音乐会。give可以和名词搭配，构成词组。如：
give a class 授课
give/make a speech 演讲
give a party 举行宴会
give/set an example to 树立榜样
give a ball 举行舞会
give an eye to 顺便照看一下
give offence to 触怒得罪
2. She graduated from Shanghai Conservatory of Music, where she also studied the guzheng in 1993.(Part1. para.1)
graduate from… “毕业于……”；“从……毕业”
句中where引导的为非限制性定语从句， where是关系副词，相当于in Shanghai Conservatory of Music, 在定语从句中作地点状语。
3. In 1996, I moved to
husband and I have been living there since then. (Part1.para.3) 1996年我和丈夫移居加拿大，直到现在。
句中“…I have been living there since then.”使用的是现在完成进行时态，其构成为“have/has+been+v-ing”, 这是本模块后面的语法将要重点解决的问题，在此不作详述。
4. The same is true of my second instrument, the guzheng.(Part1.para5)
be true of/for--- “对…来说情况也是相同的”。例如：
（1）The same is true of other cases.（对于其他各例而言，情况也是如此。)
（2）In Chinese, the same pronunciation with different tones has different meanings. The same is true for music.（在汉语中，读音相同音调不同，音乐也是如此。）
be it true or not（不管是否如此，不管是真是假）；come true （变成现实；实现）；hold true （有效；适用）；(It is) true, but---（果然不错，但是---）；out of (the) true（不诚实，不准确；不正确）；true to life（逼真）；true to oneself（安分守纪，坚持自己的原则）
5. When I play a tune, I am singing in my heart. When I’m playing a sad tune, I am crying in my heart.（Part2 para1）
(1)Can you sing this tune?（你会唱这首曲子吗？）
(2)When he began to play a tune, we had our first glimpse of the snake.(当他开始吹奏曲调时，我们才第一次看到那条蛇。）
call the tune 发号施令；指令
change one’s tune 改变主张、论调、行为
in tune 入调
out of tune 走调
6. Secondly, classical Chinese music is closely connected to Chinese poetry, so it isn’t surprising that most classical pieces have very poetic titles. 其次，中国古典乐与中国诗歌关系很密切，因此很多古典音乐作品都有着很诗意的标题就一点也不奇怪了。
7. Listeners can experience the power and the beauty of the music, like enjoying a beautiful poem or painting.（Part2 para3）听众可以自己感受音乐的力量、音乐的美，就像享受一首美妙的诗歌或一幅美丽的图画一样。
1. vt. “经历”、“体验”
She experienced many things when she went to
2. n. (u.) “经验”，为不可数名词。
(1) Our history teacher has a lot of teaching experience.
(2) He hasn’t much experience in teaching English.
(3) 短语：lack of experience (缺乏经验); practical experience (实践经验).
3. n. “经历”、“感受”、“往事”，为可数名词。
(1) I had many interesting experiences when I stayed in London.（经历、往事）
(2) Please tell us of your experiences in Africa.(你在非洲的经历).
4. I also enjoy the time immediately after the concert to share the feelings and ideas with friends and music lovers, listening to their impressions and understanding about the music. （Part3 para1） 我同样喜欢音乐会后和朋友及音乐爱好者分享感受交流看法，听他们谈对我的音乐的感觉和理解。
(1) May I share your umbrella?
(2) I will share your joys and sorrows.
(3)They share the same tastes and interests.
另外，share sth. with sb. 意为“和某人分享/担某事”。例如：
Liu Fang always ~s the feelings and ideas with friends and music lovers.
5. Since I moved to
make contact with/ get in contact with“与……取得联系”（表示动作）
lose contact with“与……失去联系”（表示动作）
be/stay in contact with “与……保持联系”（表示状态）
10. I wish to continue working with master musicians from other traditions and to be able to compose my own music, using elements from different cultures. 我希望我能继续跟他们合作，并吸取其他音乐传统之长，创作自己的音乐。
(1) I wish you a happy new year.
(2) I wish happiness to all my friends.
(3) I wish everyone well.
(4) She wishes to be alone.
(5) I wish I were a bird. (与现在事实相反)
(6) I wish you had told me about it yesterday. (与过去事实相反)Step 3. Practice Deal with some exercises about the language problems of this module. If time permits, make a summary about what they have learnt in this class. Step 4. Homework 1. Get the students to go over what they learnt in this class. 2. Have the students preview the cultural corner.
1. To enable the students to recognize and understand some new words and expressions in a dialogue or a section.
2. To finish the exercises in SB according to what they hear.
3. To be able to catch the useful information from their discussion.Important and difficult points: ⒈ To have the Ss understand what they hear. ⒉ To enable the students to know how to catch the useful information. Teaching procedures: Step 1. Listening background
Porgy and Bess started life as a 1925 novel by Dubose Heyward called Porgy, about the life of African Americans in
Gershwin said, “Porgy and Bess deals with Negro life in America---it brings to(产生) the operatic form elements that have never before appeared in the opera and I have adapted my method to utilise（利用）the drama, the humour, the superstition, the religious fervour（热诚）, the dancing and the irrepressible（无法抑制的）high spirits of the race.”
Step 2. While-listening activities I. Directions: Listen to the tape check your answers. Step 3. Everyday English:
Choose the correct answers according to the context of Listening.
⑴ If something is your favourate of all time, it means ______(a)you like it now; (b)you have always liked it ⑵If you’re missing the point, it means _______ (a)you don’t understand sth; (b)you can’t see sth ⑶If you can’t stand something, it means _____ (a)you have to sit down; (b)you don’t like it ⑷If you say Oh come on! In a conversation, it probably means ____ (a)you agree with someone; (b)you don’t agree with someone (5)If sth is described as a jazz classic, it’s ______ (a)a famous jazz tune; (b)a piece of classical music (6) If you describe a jazz tune as really ancient, it’s probably__________ (a) more than 20 years old (b) more than a hundred years old Answers: ⑴b ⑵a ⑶b ⑷b (5)a(6)b
Teaching objectives and demands:1. To experience and discover what is the Present Perfect Progressive Tense. 2. To grasp the usage of the Present Perfect Progressive Tense. 3. To know the main differences between the Present Perfect Tense and the Present Perfect Progressive Tense. Teaching keys and difficulties: 1. To grasp the usage of the Present Perfect Progressive Tense. 2. To know the main differences between the Present Perfect Tense and the Present Perfect Progressive Tense. Teaching procedures: Step 1. Experience and discover the Present Perfect Progressive Tense. Activity 1
Directions: ask the students to read the sentences from the passage in Reading and Vocabulary and decide if they are true
Example sentences:Liu Fang has played the pipa since the age of six. She’s given concerts since she was eleven.
Now, please tick the following sentences you agree with according to the above example sentences.
1. Liu Fang still plays the pipa.2. She only played the pipa when she was six. 3. She has given concerts regularly since the age of eleven. 4. She only gave concerts when she was a child. Activity 2
Directions: ask the students to read the example sentences and answer the questions.
Example sentences:Liu Fang has been playing the pipa for the last three hours. She’s been performing concerts every day since last month.
Q1: What is the difference in form between these sentences and those in Activity 1.
Answers: They are in the present perfect progressive
Q2: Which of these things is true about the sentences? (a)The people started doing these things in the past and are still doing them. (b)The people do these things every day. (c)The actions take a very long time to complete.
Answers: (a)Step 2. Detailed explanation about the Present Perfect Progressive Tense.
I. The form of the Present Perfect Progressive Tense.
现在完成进行时由“助动词have/has+been+动词-ing”形式构成。II. The basic usage of the Present Perfect Progressive Tense.
1. 表示从过去开始一直持续到现在的动作，这个动作是否继续下去，则由上下文决定。它常与表示一段时间的状语，如：all this time, this week, this month, all night, all the morning, these few days, for…, since…等连用。
例句：(1) Liu Fang has been living in
我多次在图书馆遇见到她。(2) I have been telling you to be careful for weeks. 这几个星期我一直在告诉你要小心。 III. The main differences between the Present Perfect Tense and the Present Perfect Progressive Tense.
例句：(1)We have been cleaning the classroom. 我们一直在打扫教室。
(2)We have cleaned the classroom.我们把教室打扫过了。 (3)They have been widening the road. 他们一直在加工马路。（尚未完工） (4)They have widened the road. 他们把马路拓宽了。（已经完工了）
2. 现在完成进行时往往表示动作在重复，现在完成时则常常不带重复性。例句：(1) Have you been meeting her lately? 你最近跟她见面吗？（有“经常相会”之意）
(2)Have you met her lately?你最近跟她见过面了吗？（没有“经常相会”之意）
3.表示暂时性动作用现在完成进行时较好，而表示表示长时期的接近于状态的动作时，用现在完成时较好。例句：(1) He has been staying with his uncle during the past two months. 最近两个月他和他叔叔在一起（暂时性动作） (2) I have been waiting all the morning. 早晨我一直在等（暂时性动作）
(3) I have lived here all my life.我一辈子一直住这儿。（长时期的接近于状态的动作） (4) We have worked in the south since we graduated. 毕业后我们一直在南方工作。 （长时期的接近于状态的动作）
4.有些表示状态、感情、感觉的动词，如：have, exist, like, hate, hear, know, sound等，不能用于现在完成进行时，但可用于现在完成时。例句：(1) They’ve known each other since 1970.（不用They have been knowing…） 自1970年起他们就认识了。
(2) John has loved Mary since ten years ago.约翰自十年前就爱上了玛丽。 (3) He has been here for two days. 他在这儿两天了。 (4) The property has belonged to my uncle during the last ten years. 十年来这财产一直是我叔叔的。
5. 在否定句中一般用现在完成时而不用现在完成进行时。例句：(1) I have not spoken（而不说have not been speaking) English for two years.
(2) He has never seen a man like him.(3) He has hardly met an American in the street. (4) I have received no money from my family.
Step 3. Practice about the Present Perfect Progressive Tense.
I. Complete the conversation. Put the verbs into the present perfect progressive.
Interviewer: Liu Fang, what (1)______________________(do) recently?Liu Fang: Well, I (2)______________________ (give) concerts in
Liu Fang: Yes. I (4)__________________(play) some classical American tunes.Interviewer: What else have you (5)_______________(do)? Liu Fang: I (6)__________________(learn) how to play the konghou.
Answers: 1. have you been doing 2. have been giving 3. been playing 4. have been playing 5. been doing 6. have been learning
II. Complete the passage with the correct form of the verbs.
Last night, I (1) ________(went / have been) to see a concert by the Chinese-born Canadian artist Liu Fang. She was born in
Step 4. Homework
Finish off workbook exercises 1, 2 & 3.
1. To know about the general knowledge of the street music.
2. To read and understand a little too difficult passage related to street music.
Step 1. Ask the Ss to look at the photo and describe the picture.
Step 2. Answer the questions.
1 How does the writer feel about the music playing in the street?
2 How much do people have to pay for the music in
3 What is everyone else doing as the music man plays his organ in
4 Why is there suddenly dancing in the streets in
5 Why does music echo in the
6 What is the disadvantage of recorded music?
7 What is the advantage of live music?
Answers to the questions:
1 He likes it
2 The music is free, but people can give the musicians money if they want
5 Because it is played in the tunnels.
6 Music loses some of its liveliness.
7 Street music gives life to everyone who listens and offers relief from the cares of the day.
Step 3. Ask the Ss to work in pairs and discuss the answers to the questions.
1 Do you prefer live or recorded music?
2 How often do you listen to live music?
3 How do you feel when you hear music on the streets?
4 Do you think musicians should be allowed to play in the streets?
If so, what music would you like to hear as you come to school?
Step 1. Ask the Ss to read the passage and choose the best summary.
1 Twelve Girls Band plays traditional music in many countries. They are well-known for
their music which is used in advertisements, and two million copies of the DVDs of their performances have been sold.
2 Twelve Girls Band is a group of women musicians from
3 Twelve Girls Band is one of
Step 2. Choose the best answers.
1 The writer thinks that Twelve Girls Band is special because__________
(a) they combine Chinese and western music
(b) they use symbols of numerology for inspiration
(c) they’re very talented
(d) they have a classical training
2 No other group of musicians from
(a) sold so many DVDs of their performances
(b) achieved such success in the
(c) appealed to so many Asians
(d) used Chinese mythology as an inspiration
3 The band’s choice of music shows its love for________
(a) music from all over the world.
(b) Traditional musical instruments
(c) Mozart and Beethoven
(d) Chinese classical music
4 Although it plays live in concerts, the band_____
(a) shows its respect for the Chinese musical tradition
(b) also sells millions of recordings, e.g. DVDs and CDs
(c) prefers Chinese music
(d) also plays on television
5 Chinese traditional symbols and instruments__________
(a) show their love for all styles of music
(b) appeal to westerners
(c) work well with jazz and classic songs
(d) make clear the origins of the band and provide inspiration
Answers: a b a b d
Period Eight Cultural Corner
Teaching aims: 1. To know about the general knowledge of the Grammy Awards. 2. To read and understand a little too difficult passage related to music. Important and difficult points: 1. Enable the Ss to know about as much music knowledge as possible. 2. Understand the author’s feelings and opinions showed in the reading passage. Teaching procedures: Step 1. Pre-reading activities
1. Brainstorm awards in music.
2. Tell what you know about how an award is decided to and given to a person who deserves it.Step 2. Leading-in Today, we’ll learn a most famous award in the music industry…….
Step 3. While-reading activities
Read the passage and answer the following questions:
1. What are the Grammy Awards given for?
2. How many categories are there in the awards?3. How do they decide to whom such an award should be given?
4. Why is the word called a Grammy?5. What do some people think of the award?
6. Is it easy or difficult for the musicians from the rest of the world to win a Grammy prize? Why?
Answers: ⑴ They are given for important achievements in recorded music. ⑵ There are 105 categories in the awards.
⑶ The awards depend on how many votes each artist receives from members of the
⑷ Because winners receive a statuette in the shape of a gramophone, an old fashioned hi-fi system.
⑸They think the Grammys are not as important as they used to be. ⑹It’s very difficult for musicians from the rest of the world to win a Grammy prize. Because there are only two awards for World Music in a separate set of awards for Latin music.
Step 4. Post-reading activities
Have a discussion on the following questions:
1. In what way are the Grammys similar to the
2. If there were Grammy Awards for Chinese music, what categories would you like to see?
3. Are the Grammy Awards important? Why?Step 5. Homework
1. Revise what learnt in this module.
2. Finish off the rest of the exercises of this module.
Copyright© 2006-2021 主站 www.5ykj.com , All Rights Reserved 闽ICP备12022453号-30