Unit 1 The Changing World
1. — They have been to Australia.
— So _____ I.
A.do B.have been C.did D.have
2. The population of Shanghai is larger than _____ of Shenyang.
A.that B.it C.one D.this
3. —_____ the population of the U.S.A.in 2005?
—It _____ about 296 million.
A.What is; is B.What was; was
C.How many is; was D.How many was; is
4. The _____ population may be the greatest challenge of the world today.
A.increase B.increased C.increasing D.increases
5. The little girl has _____ finished reading the book you lent her.
A.already B.yet C.still D.once
6. —What has happened in your hometown?
—Great changes _____ in my hometown recently.
A.have been taken place B.have taken place
C.have been happened D.was happened
7. Students today have a lot of pressure(压力) _____ they have to learn too much knowledge at school.
A.in order to B.unless C. because D.because of
8. — Are you going to _______ our English club?
—Yes, I am.
A.take part in B.join C.took part in D.joined
9.The foreigners arrived _______ Shanghai _______ night.
A. at; at B. in; at C. in; in D. at; in
10.Sam spends two hours _______ his homework every day.
A. to do B. doing C. do D. does
1. Deng Yaping says she isn’t so clever, ______ she has a very strong will．
A．and B．but C．so D. or
2. He told the interviewer that he had run out of money to buy old bikes.
A. put away B. turned off C. taken out D. used up
3. — What are the rules at your school?
— Don’t run in the hallways and ______ arrive late for class.
A. not to B. won’t C. don’t D. no
What is the population of China? There are more than a billion and three hundred million people in China. It is almost one fifth of the world’s population. How to control the population growth is a big problem. Some people think 1 control the population growth. But I don’t agree 2 them, because where there’s a will, there is a way.
The question is that we should make it 3 how serious the population problem is. Our farmland is becoming less and less to everyone. We have already got too many mouths to feed. 4 we control the population growth, many people will die 5 hunger. Too fast population growth has been and will be bad for our nation. Though laws(法律) have been 6 to control the population growth, in some places 7 is done to carry out the law. We should make people 8 that it is foolish to bring too many children into the world. They should9do what they have been doing for many years.
We are fighting against the rapid population growth. Yes, the fighting won’t end 10everyone knows its importance and does something for it. Let’s go on working hard on it together.
1. A. that is impossible for B. impossible of
C. that is impossible of D. it impossible to
2. A. to B. for C. with D. on
3. A. known to everybody B. known by everybody
C. know to everybody D. know by everybody
4. A. If not B. Unless C. Until D. If
5. A. of B. about C. with D. out of
6. A. pass B. passed C. broken D. past
7.A.many B.little C.a lot D.much
8. A. to know B. to learn C. know D. learning
9. A. not longer B. not more C. no longer D. no more
10. A. until B. after C. when D. as
Bookstores are second homes for readers. Although many people can now buy books online, many readers still like the feeling in bookstores. They can touch(触摸) the books and smell the print.
In China, there are many special bookstores. Sanlian Taofen Bookstore became the first 24-hour bookstore in Beijing at the beginning of April. Popular Holdings in Shanghai is a film-themed bookstore. It has film books and posters. Eslite Bookstore in Taiwan often has activities like talks with famous writers.
At the same time, bookstores outside China can be very colorful, too. Scarthin Books is a small bookstore in the UK. It sells new and second-hand books. There are more than 100,000 books lying on the shelves of the store’s 12 rooms. Bart’s Books in the US is a good place to enjoy the sunshine(阳光) while reading books. It’s an outdoor bookstore. Bookshelves are on the street. When the store is closed, people can still buy books. They just put money into the door’s coin box. Where can you find a café, bar and bookstore in just one place? The answer is probably El Pendulo in Mexico. Books line(排列成行) the walls of the store. On the second floor, visitors can order everyday meals in the café and drinks from the bar. In order to keep cool, there are green plants and trees inside. Does it look like a park?
1. ______ special bookstores inside China are mentioned(提到) in the passage.
A. 2 B. 3 C. 5 D. 6
2. Scarthin Books is ______.
A. a 24-hour bookstore B. an outdoor bookstore
C. in the US D. small
3. People can still buy books at ______ when it’s closed.
A. Bart’s Books B. Popular Holdings C. Eslite Bookstore D. El Pendulo
4. Readers can ______ at El Pendulo.
A. talk with famous writers B. order meals
C. enjoy the sunshine D. buy film posters
5. There are ______ inside El Pendulo in order to keep cool.
A. 12 rooms B. bookshelves
C. green plants and trees D. coin boxes
Most new babies were born in the developing countries. These countries are found in Africa, South America and parts of Asia. In the developed countries of Europe and North America, the population is growing very slowly. This is because women in these countries have, on average (平均), only one or two children. In the developing countries, many women have five or more children. In 1950, about one quarter of the world’s population lived in the developed countries. By 2050, these countries will be home to only about one tenth of the world’s people.
In the developing countries, more than one billion people are still living below the poverty(贫困) line. These people do not have enough food to eat and they live in poor housing conditions. Children get little time at school and suffer (遭受痛苦) from many kinds of diseases.
At the beginning of the 21st century, the world’s population was around six billion. The U.N. has said that the world’s population will level off (平稳下降) at 12.5 billion by the year 2100. Other groups think the world’s population will continue to grow, reaching 14 billion before it becomes stable (稳定的), or even falls.
6. In what areas of the world can developing countries be found?
7. In 1950, what percent of the world’s population lived in developing countries?
8. How to describe the people who are living below the poverty line?
9. There will be twelve and a half billion people on the earth in 2100, won’t there?
3.B。问人口的多少用what或how large而不用how many。本题问的是2005年的人口，所以用过去时态。
6.B。此题考查不及物动词happen和take place的用法, 不及物动词不能用于被动语态。
7.C。in order to和because of后面不能接从句，unless“除非”，不符合题意。本句主句和从句之间是因果关系，故用because。
8.B。be going to do表明只能选动词原形。take part in意为“参加”，常指参加群众性的活动、会议、劳动、游行等；join意为“加入”，指加入某一党派、组织或社会团体，以及参军等，并成为其中一员。根据句意“成为club成员”,而不是“参加”某项活动,故不能选A。
9. B。arrive in/at “到达”,in后的宾语为大地点,at后的宾语为小地点。在晚上用at night,故选B。
10.B。考查spend some time doing sth. /on sth.结构,意为“某人花时间做某事”。
2. D。句意：他告诉记者他已经用光了买旧自行车的钱。run out of用光，用完。put away将……收起; turn off关掉; take out拿出; use up用光，用完。根据句意，此处应该选择D项。
谓语+it+adj.+to do sth. 的形式。
2.C。本句考查“agree with sb”这一结构，表示“同意……的意见”。
3.A。本句中make it known to是较为正式的习惯用语，表示“把某事向……公布或发表”。
5.A。本句考查die of+n短语，意思是“死于……”，表示死的原因，die 后既可接介词 of，也可接 from, 两者的区别是：若死因存在于人体之上或之内（主要指疾病、衰老等自身的原因)，一般用介词 of。如：die of illness;若死因不是存在人体之内或之上，而是由环境造成的(主要指事故等方面的外部原因)，一般用介词 from。如：die from an earthquake;若死因是环境影响到体内，即两方面共有的原因，则可用of, from 均可。如：die of /froma drink / hunger and cold。
8.C。本句考查make sb. do sth. 这一结构。
9.C。表示“不再”有两种结构，一种是not … any longer/any more，另一种是no longer/more，此处应考虑第二种结构，而no longer表示时间上的“不再”，no more表示频率上的“不再”。根据题意，应指的是时间上的“不再”。
10.A。本句考查not … until这一结构。
Sanlian Taofen Bookstore、 Popular Holdings、Eslite Bookstore，所以有三个特殊的书店，所以答案为B。
2. D。由文中第二段的第二句可知：Scarthin Books is a small bookstore in the UK. Scarthin书
3. A。由文中第三段的第5-7句：Bart’s Books in the US is a good place to enjoy the sunshine(阳
光) while reading books. It’s an outdoor bookstore. Bookshelves are on the street. When the store
is closed, people can still buy books可知，书架在街道上。当商店关闭，人们仍然可以买书。
4. B。order meals点餐，由文中最后一段的倒数第三句话On the second floor, visitors can order
everyday meals in the café and drinks from the bar可知，答案为B。
5. C。由文中最后一段的倒数第二句In order to keep cool, there are green plants and trees
6. They can be found in Africa, South America and parts of Asia.
7. Seventy-five percent/75%.
8. Not having enough food; living in poor housing conditions; suffering from many kinds of diseases; getting little education.（答对其中两点即可）
9.Yes, there will.
文 章来 源莲山 课件 w w