Unit 3 Safety
Lesson 15 My Helmet Saved My Life
1. Analysis of the Students
The students of Grade 9 have mastered certain vocabularies，expressions and structures. They also have the abilities of self-teaching and working in groups. Most of them are willing to express their opinions in English.
2. Analysis of Teaching Content
Lesson 15 is the third lesson in Unit 3, Book 5.This unit focus on the subject safety. Students cares about the subject because it is close to everyone. Lesson 15 mainly talks about how to keep when we ride bikes.
Enable Ss to use new words: careless, blood, stranger, all of a sudden, etc.
Enable Ss to retell the story about this lesson and write about how to keep safe when we ride bikes.
Be aware of safety when you ride bikes.
New words: careless, blood, stranger, etc.
Phrase: all of a sudden, go down, take off, Thank goodness, etc.
Write an article about how to keep when we ride bikes.
Tape recorder, Multimedia
Step 1. Warm-up
1. Enjoy someone by cycling.
2. Free talk: Cycling is fun. Before you get on your bike, what should you check?
Step 2. Presentation
3. Listen and tick the sentences mentioned
Check the brakes, light and types.
Ride on the sidewalk.
Make a way for people walking.
Don’ t play with others.
Wear light-coloured clothes.
Follow the traffic signs and rules.
Always wear your helmet.
4. Check the answers.
5. Listen to the lesson again and write T or F
Her head hit the ground. ( )
She stood up and shouted for help. ( )
Her friend came to help and drove her to the hospital. ( )
Her bicycle helmet saved her life. ( )
6. Check the answers.
7. Explain the language points
All of a sudden,WHAM!
all of a sudden意为“突然”，相当于suddenly，常在句中作状语，说明某一动作发生时的情况。
I went down hard on my right side.
on my right side在这里指“我以右侧身体着地”。
“There’s something wrong with me,”I thought.
“There’s something wrong with…”意为“……有问题”，相当于“Something is wrong with…”,其否定式为“There is nothing wrong with…”或“There isn't anything wrong with…”。
I felt so terrible that I lay down again.
so…that…意为“如此……以至于……”。so为副词，后面可接形容词或副词，that为连词，后接结果状语从句。与so…that…类似的结构为：such…that…。二者意思相同，不同的是such后面接名词。So…that…引导结果状语从句，可以与too…to…或“not+形容词+enough to do sth.”作同义句转换。
My hand and knee were bleeding.
take off在本句中意为“脱下”，反义词组为put on。
There was a sharp rock sticking out of it.
stick out of意为“从……伸出来”。stick为动词，意为“插入，穿入”，过去式、过去分词为stuck。
Thank goodness I wore my helmet!
thank goodness意为“谢天谢地”，也可说成thank God。
My bicycle helmet saved my life!
save为及物动词，意为“救，挽救”，句中短语save one’s life意为“救某人的命”。
(1)save sb./sth. from…意为“挽救某人/某物于……，从……救出某人/某物”，from后跟sth.或doing sth.。
(2)save还可意为“节省，节约”。save sth.意为“节省某物”，save sb. sth.意为“为某人节省某物”。
But before getting on a bicycle, you should double check the following things:
get on意为“上(车、飞机等)”，反义词组为get off。
The tyres are neither too full nor too flat.
Step 3. Practice
1. Read and answer the questions.
(1) What caused her fell down?
(2) Why did she lie down again?
(3) What were her hand and knee like?
(4) What was wrong with her helmet?
(5) Where did the stranger put her bike and took her to the hospital?
2. Check the answers and find the keys.
3. Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the words in the box.
blood, knee, stick, stranger, careless
(1) I hurt my_________, and it’s painful when I walk.
(2) Although they were___________, they got on very well with each other.
(3) He stopped the car and found a nail___________ in the tyre.
(4) It is an honour for everyone to give____________.
(5) He failed the exam because he was so___________ with his spelling.
Step 4. Consolidation
1. Work in groups. Discuss what you should do to keep safe when you ride a bicycle. Then write a short passage and present it to the class.
Step 5. Homework
1. Listen and read.
2. Finish exercises of this lesson.