高二英语上册第9单元复习知识点：Saving the earth
“阅读”(Reading)部分是一篇关于“地球峰会”的介绍性文章。文章介绍了2002年在南非首都约翰内斯堡召开的“地球峰会(The Earth Summit)”的基本情况，包括会议召开的背景、会议的主题以及与会者所讨论的主要问题和提出的解决办法等。通过对该文章的阅读，可以丰富学生有关本单元主题的语言和信息。
You will attend the meeting and discuss the issue.
I just got a rise, so money is no longer an issue.
Unemployment is not the issue-the real problem is the decline in public morality.
The article will appear in the next month's issue.
The post office issued the stamps last week.
Without reading the text, try to predict its content.
The content of your essay is excellent, but it’s not very well expressed.
be content with sth.
be content to do sth.
He is content with life.
John seems content to sit in front of the television all night.
20% of the people on earth do not have access to clean drinking water.
The house is in the center part of the town with good access to the shops.
Hospitals should give patients the right of access to their medical records.
All the branch managers can access the data bank of the general office.
Rich countries have a responsibility towards poor countries and must do whatever they can to help others.
Taking care of family is a big responsibility.
注意构词形式：responsibility的形容词形式为responsible;常见短语是：be responsible for：替/对……负责。
She is my student, and I must be responsible for her.
5. in harmony with：与…协调/和谐;反义词out of harmony with
With better education, people will be able to build a better Society in harmony with nature and perhaps put an end to the death and sufferings caused by the big three.
His tastes are in harmony with mine.
Bob and I worked together in harmony for years.
6. put an end to：结束
We must put an end to this foolish behaviour.
The chief task of the moment is to put an end to the terrible pollution in the rivers.
1. affect / effect
effect：名词：影响，效果;常见短语：have an effect on sb./ sth.
What we do is important because it affects the environment.
All the people in the room were affected to tears.
The medicine has little effect on the old man.
2. defend / protect / guard
Make sure that you are ready to answer questions and defend your argument.
It is the duty of every Chinese citizen to defend motherland.
Clothes protect us from cold.
Tow big dogs guard the farm.
1. One of the main themes Of the summit was “sustainable development’，or the question of how we can continue developing the world without damaging the environment.
The company is paying the rent or at least Contributing to it
Don’t put anything plastic in the oven or it will probably start melting.
Are you going with your parents or by yourself ?
They left the school in a hurry, without saying goodbye to anyone.
2. Air pollution alone causes almost three million deaths.
He alone is not responsible for it.
Money alone cannot make you happy.
He likes to go it alone in everything.
I am not alone in this opinion.
3. If we are to develop the world successfully, we must make sure that everyone is able to take part in the new world we create.
be +to do sth这个结构常常表示安排，命令、职责、义务、目的、用途，可能性、命中注定等含义。例如：
We are to meet at the school gate.
You are to be back by 10 o'clock.
The prize is to honour him for his great discovery.
4. Richer countries have a responsibility towards poorer countries and must do whatever they can to help others.
do whatever one can相当于do what one can，只是前者的语气更强。
1. Without international cooperation, developing countries cannot prosper, nor will sustainable development be possible.
Never have I met him.
Seldom have we seen such big melons.
Hardly had she entered the house when she heard the dog barking.
2. Only by changing the way we live can we save the earth.
Only in this way can you work out the maths problem.
Only when Tom returns this afternoon will the meeting began.
3. Had I known that air conditioners cause so much pollution, 1 would never have bought one.
If I had known that air conditioners cause so much pollution, 1 would never have bought one.
4. A better understanding of the environment is necessary, as is the willingness to act.
as相当于so：通常表达“……也是一样”可以说：as / so is(was ; does; do; did….)+主语。
He believed, as did all his family, that God would bless them.文章来 源