Unit 1 Will people have robots
一、alone adj. &adv. 与 lonely
1. =by oneself 独自的/地；孤独的/地； 独立的/地
eg, He likes living alone.
I mended the bike alone.
2. and no other 只有。唯有 (跟在名词或代词后面)
eg, Mr Smith alone knows what happened.
You alone can help me in the work.
1. 作表语。其意思为 “孤单”
eg, He feels lonely. (作表语)
eg, The old man lives in a lonely mountain village.
注意： alone 强调客观上的 “独自。单独一人”, 而lonely除表示
eg, Though the old man is alone, he doesn’t feel lonely
二、probably adv. 很可能，或许，大概
eg, Probably he may know the way. (放句首)
He is probably about 50 years old. (放在系动词后面)
I probably didn’t try hard enough. (放在谓语前面)
It’ll probably rain. (放在助动词后面)
able adj. 1. 有能力的，能干的
eg, My father is an able engineer.
用于be able to 结构，后跟动词原形。
eg, Jim isn’t able to come tonight because he is ill.
三、be able to 与can ：相同 点：两者后跟原形动词。
be able to 可与情态动词连用，can却不能。
eg, I shall be able to speak English well.
2. be able to 可用在不定式之后，而can却不能。
eg, I hope to be able to go shopping with you on Sunday.
3. be able to 的过去式还有表示过去经过努力而做到的意思，而could 没有这种意思。
eg, He studied hard and was able to pass the exam.
4. can 表示请求和允许，以及猜测，而be able to 却无此用法。
eg, Mr Smith can’t be at home. Can I carry your bag?
eg, No one was able to/could answer the question.
I. 用 lonely 或 alone填空：
1. Don’t leave the baby ____________ at home.
2. When his wife and two little children left him, he was very_____________.
3. I never feel ____________ because I have a lot of friends here.
4. Peter ______________ can learn the text by heart
1. The train has _____________ left. (probable)
2. The boy had an accident and was ____________ hurt. (terrible)
3. This is a__________ story about him. (truly)
III. 用be able to 或can 的适当形式填空:
1. He tried hard and ______________ swim across the river.
2. I________________ finish the work next week.
3. My little brother _____________________ ride a bike when he was only six years old.
4. I ______ not _________________ go to work for three weeks.
5. _______ you sing or dance when you were five years old?
6. I want to join the writing club. I ____________________ write articles.
1. In some science fiction movies, people in future have their own robots.
2. Some scientists believe that there will be such robots in the future.
3. Scientists are now trying to make robots look like people, and do the same things as us.
4. He thinks that it will be difficult for a robot to do the same things as a person.
5. It’s easy for a child to wake up and know where they are.
6. They think that robots will be able to talk to people in 25 to 50 years.
7. People would not like to do such jobs and would get bored.
8. In the future, there will be more robots everywhere, and humans will have less work to do.
9. That may not seem possible now, but computers, space rockets and even electric toothbrushes
seem impossible a hundred years ago.
10. We never know what will happen in the future!
1.I _______ (visit) my uncle tomorrow.
2.There _______ (be) a football match in our school next week.
3.He _______ (help) you with your English this evening.
4.They _________(play) soccer if it doesn’t rain.
5. We _________ (have) a meeting tomorrow.
Do _______ ______ there will be robots _____ _____ homes?
People _______ _____ ______ ______150 years old.
I think she ______ ____ a doctor.
______ _____ _____ ______? I live in Beijing.
He read her letter ______ _______ _______ ________.
He _______ _______ after he waited for long.